bobbin tension problems

bobbin winder tension problems

I'm a new Lenni owner and new to the forum. I am having problems winding bobbins on the Simplicity Deluxe Sidewinder. The thread on the bobbins are squishy. I have rewound the bobbins, adjusted the tension, and hold the thread while it's winding. When the bobbin feels firmer, I have loaded the bobbin and begin sewing. I have to adjust the tension every time there is a bobbin change, because of railroading in the backing. I've become a proficient frogger.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thank you,

Terri

Originally posted by socanterrisew

bobbin winder tension problems

I'm a new Lenni owner and new to the forum. I am having problems winding bobbins on the Simplicity Deluxe Sidewinder.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thank you,

Terri

Throw it away and use a DSM until you can purchase something that really works--or buy some pre-wounds.

Sorry for the snark, but these winders are junk.

Gammill offers a good winder for around $100. The Turbo that APQS sells is very pricey but gets good reviews--and it's FAST.

And welcome to the forum, Terri! It's a great place and will seem like home soon!

I agree, and wonder why APQS includes this with the LENNI.

It really is the only negative thing about our purchase.

And has caused such frustration! Sheeesh!

I do believe we will be saving up for a better one. Anyone have suggestions?

I know the "Turbo winder" is said to be the best, any suggestions for a less expensive

option?

Thanks! :););)

(I am one of Terri's co-purchasers......we have the M bobbin, so DSM isn't an option either)

Terri and Carol,

the Sidewinder Deluxe that we now send with the Lucey and Lenni machines has a built in tension assembly on the winder, which is different from the small Sidewinder you would find in retail stores. It is designed to handle both L and M bobbins and cones. It sounds like the tensioner on the unit is not putting enough pressure on your thread to get a firm bobbin. If adjusting the tensioner tighter doesn't give you the results you need (go ahead and turn it more than one revolution), then wrap the thread one complete revolution around the tension assembly instead of just passing it behind the disks.

In addition, it can help to put a small piece of batting into the wire thread guide directly above the thread cone so that it rests on top of the thread firmly. That also puts some pre-tension on the thread to give you consistent pressure for winding.

Occasionally we get used turbo winders in at the factory with trade in machines. Give us a call sometime and we can see if any are in stock that we could get for you at a little better price than a completely new one.

Hi Terri, like everyone else I would definately go and buy yourself some pre wounds. Superior super bobs or Fil tec magna glide are great pre wounds . They are so much easier to use than winding your own. Superior Super bobs comes in a large range of colours.

And I would like to thank Dawn for her suggestions. They were helpful, and much appreciated. It is good to know that APQS will jump in with help.

Carol. (one of Terri's co-owners)

Thank you for the suggestion Kath, but with the M size bobbin, prewounds are somewhat expensive.

We do use them, and they are super, but we also want to wind our own.

Archived