Crosshatching Education

Hi all,

Need help with crosshatching. I know it takes longer than some quilting....I tried it out last week and it took FOREVER and FELT REALLY AWKWARD. While it turned out OK, I know there must be a better way to do it than I am doing. Anyone out there know of a good info source. I'm great with learning off books and DVD's. Getting to classes with teachers isn't always easy so I prefer a DVD.

I've already got Dawn Cavanaugh's crosshatch ruler. I couldn't find a u-tube demo or anything on her website.

There just must be a crosshatching school somewhere.

I just know there is a better way.....and all you out there always come through. Any ideas?

Linda

Hi Linda! (My dad always called me Linda Lou in spite of my middle name being Ann!)

For straight crosshatching, measure and mark your lines first for the best and most exact job. As you gain proficiency you can eliminate this step and use the lines on your ruler as guides for spacing.

Stitch all lines slanted in one direction first. Stitch one line, pause at the seam, stitch in the ditch to your next line, and stitch back on the next diagonal. When all lines in one direction are done, start the ones on the other diagonal. If you plan right, you can make sure the stitching back and short SID between lines alternate so when you finish, all the SID is done (meaning, you catch the un-SID-ed segments in the seam with the second pass of crosshatching). I hope that made sense!

;)

The Linda Rech ruler looks interesting. Does it require marking on the quilt first?

I was hoping to make my Cavanaugh ruler work. I'm kind of a minimalist. . . . . But if the Rech ruler really cuts down on time I'd consider it.

Is cross hatching one of the more expensive designs. I'm inclined to put it up there as it sure is time consuming. How is everyone pricing this for their customers?

Linda

Love love love Linda Rech's rulers!!! They are easy to use, provide stability and precise crosshatch lines on your quilt .. I marked mine with perm marker at quarter, half inch etc. Linda ROCKS!

Oh, and she's a really nice and helpful person too!

Even tho I have the Circle Lord, These rulers are on my LIST TO BUY soon!

http://stonehousequilting.danemcoweb.com/shop/category/quilter-s-groove-rulers/

If your Cross Hatching in smaller areas, I think these rulers are the BOMB!

If your doing larger CH, the Circle Lord, or Quiltazoid have ruler boards to ease in making those

loooooong Cross Hatch Lines.

Archived