arranging the workspace

Guest Linda S

Ah, lots of room to grow and to fill up - which I would do in short order! ;) I probably would locate my longarm slightly near a wall (maybe with the front about three or four feet from the wall), but that's just me. I would do that so I could hang a tool rack on the wall behind me for templates, screw drivers, etc. I would get (as I have) a wheeled rolling cart (mine's sturdy plastic with three drawers) in which I keep extra needles, bobbins, tension gauge, spare lights, oil, etc. Nearby I have a shelving unit which holds packaged batts, next to that is a cutting table (6' x 6') with rolls of batting underneath. I have a wall that juts into my space (which is 25' x 17') and that has peg boards which hold my thread cones. I have another cutting space and a sideboard with a hard pressing surface on top of it near that, and the walls are lined with cubbies that hold my fabric stash. My space is probably a bit more limited than yours, as my roof slopes to accommodate my roof. It's only problematic during my drum solo when "Burning down the house" comes on while I'm quilting! :D

Check out my pics on webshots (addy below) and see how I set my studio up. It has worked really well for me. My space is 36 X 20.

I drafted the space out on graph paper. Made cut outs of my planned cutting, pressing, sewing, quilting etc, funiture/equipment and then arranged, arranged, arranged until I had what I wanted. It is now about 5 years old and I haven't found a need to change much.

Newellyn- Lynda advises well cut out on graph paper of your room and what you have to put in it.

I have my Millie so I can see out of my windows from the front of the machine - I prefer to quilt from the front. I have my cutting table, bobbin winder on table, Ironing board etc behind me as I stand at the front. They all become my worksurfaces to put tools on as I work my way along a quilt.

My room is only 14 x 17 but, after graph paper planning of the spaces, it works for me.

There is also a FREE drawing software called Google Sketchup: http://sketchup.google.com/download/

You can create your room in 3D, place your cabinets, machines, etc. in there and then twist and turn to the room to get a view from any side. Make several rooms and compare them all; or just keep moving furniture until you think you have it right. There are also free tutorials; it is much like a mini CAD software; and is pretty simple. My husband has designed his garage/woodshop; all of the furniture he builds; designed a remodel for our house etc. Pretty slick. Have fun; you have a great room coming on!

I have a table behind me while i work and love it. this happened by accident, not by design :D

I also bought a nice coffe table for under the frame that has a shelf so i can put my storage bins on it. it's great!

I read several posts about making a work table for the frame using curtain rods and it works good too, but the table seems to be where i naturally go to for rulers etc.

my space isn't that big, its a loft room so one wall looks over into the living room. no tall shelves on that wall, that's where i have my dsm.

I'm surprised how it all fit together. I have the 12' frame on casters. Love the casters!!! I can move the machine out to load a quilt and all.. but then it can go back closer to the wall and gives me more room.

One thing about the casters, with them on the table is taller. Myrna made me feel better about that though because she said you can see your stitches better. Then the back side, pantos, is perfect. I am trying to use the front mostly:P

another thing that i LOVE... i bought 2 pieces of plexy glass from home depot and i use it for block designs on the front of the machine using the laser. I truly love that!!! they sit on the frame nicely, the second piece of plexy glass is a lessor weight than the first and holds the pattern perfectly in place.

I've learned so much from this site!!! Thanks everyone!!!!!

Archived