Arg!!! Black cotton thread breaking

I'm using Cairo black cotton thread and it is breaking all over the place. I have the tension is set so loose that I'm afraid my tension assembly is going to fall off. The Cairo white thread and dark lead color are working beautifully. I think the black cotton is just oversaturated with color, making it fragile. Any other black cotton thread suggestions? Something on the thin side would be wonderful but I'm probably dreaming ... :(:(:(

Heidi, how much mineral oil should I put on the thread? I remember Sharon used to use something else and she would dunk the thread in it. I'm guessing do the same?

I just found a cone of YLI black thread that I didn't realize I had. It seems to be doing the trick though is a tad bit thicker. If I can't get the Cairo to work with the mineral oil, I have another option.

Bonnie,

Yes you dunk it. I was very skeptical but hey Sharon is a Master Quilter so I figured I'd give it a go. I thought the cone would be oily but it really wasn't. I dunked it and then used a paper towel to wipe off all the excess. I have to say I used it on my DSM and I had the best stitch quality I've ever had and no issues at all. It left no residue on my quilt and I even stitched and unsewed it to make sure I didn't see any oil spots. There was nothing at all.

Years ago, as a machine knitter, I learned that black is always the most finicky yarn, thread (dark blue and purple the next in line for offending) - will break easier due to the fact that it has the most dye and some manufacturers create their blacks with over-dying what was discarded due to quality control. If a black thread does not work - definitely try what Heidi suggested but also keep in mind that you might just want to get rid of the offending cone.

Guest Linda S

Black is always the most finicky as Meg says. In addition to dunking it in mineral oil (Sharon used to use liquid silicone, but has since changed to mineral oil), you should rethread to double-check your thread path, and watch to see how your thread comes off the cone. I have, with a different brand of thread, had a cone of thread where the thread was oddly wound and the outer (supposedly) layer of thread was trapped beneath the layer below at intermittent points. The thread snagged at those points and broke repeatedly. I have that thread cone waiting to get sliced up and put into some thread art, as the company that made it has gone out of business.

Archived