MQX west in October

We are planning to go to MQX in Portland in October. Can someone recommend which hotel to book. I have been looking at the reviews for the Red Lion hotel across the street from the Convention Center but they are not very good.. Has anyone stayed there? I don't want to get too far from the Convention Center as we will not have a car. Thanks for your help! I am so excited about going!

Guest Linda S

I stayed at the Red Lion for Quilt Market in 2008 and it was not a nice hotel. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last year and it was way over-priced. We'll be staying at the Quality Inn this October, not fancy, but it's clean, you get a frige and microwave in your room and a free breakfast, and the rate is cheap.

Have stayed at the Red Lion - not very up to date but last year it was clean, the staff polite and helpfuf and just across the street from the Convention Center - thought about changing this year but knowing how much it might/could rain decided to stay there again. Not great, not bad and serves it's purpose. Plus - if you want to take the tram anywhere, it is basically right out your door.

Whoops, we booked at the Red Lion this year and got a good rate. Now we may have to rethink. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last year and I wasn't too keen on walking backwards and forwards in the dark. It isn't a long walk, I just didn't like doing it by myself in the evenings.

Guest Linda S

The Quality Inn is right across from the Convention Center too. It used to be La Quinta. A good way to find a place is to put the Convention Center into Google Maps and then ask for hotels nearby.

Originally posted by meg_marsh

Have stayed at the Red Lion - not very up to date but last year it was clean, the staff polite and helpfuf and just across the street from the Convention Center - thought about changing this year but knowing how much it might/could rain decided to stay there again. Not great, not bad and serves it's purpose. Plus - if you want to take the tram anywhere, it is basically right out your door.

I stayed at the Red Lion last year MQX West and it was okay. Clean and close, a block away from the Convention Center. The price was right. And yes, the tram is right there and free within the heart of Portland.

Originally posted by Linda S

The Quality Inn is right across from the Convention Center too. It used to be La Quinta. A good way to find a place is to put the Convention Center into Google Maps and then ask for hotels nearby.

Thanks Linda, I will use google maps. Cheap, Clean, Safe and no odor, not necessarily in that order!

Thanks everyone, your input really helps!

Guest Linda S

Oh - and I forgot to say - as long as you are near the Convention Center (or out at the airport for that matter) the Max will take you just about anywhere you want to go in Portland. The downtown corridor is free to ride, which is a big plus. I'll be driving up from Eugene and there is free parking at the Quality Inn (it was $15 a day at Crowne Plaza), but you really do not need a car in Portland. Unless, of course, you want to take a trip out to Fabric Depot! :D

Just a heads up about the Max Transit "free" rides. Tri-met who operates the MAX Line will no longer be offering free rides "except" within the downtown core area starting in July if their fare increases are approved. Athough hotels and trimet are saying that free or low cost passes will be offered to hotel guests. You may want to ask the hotel you plan to stay at what they will be offering if the MAX LINE is no longer free if you plan to rely on it for transportation. Although the MAX LINE and/or our bus system is easy and convienent at any reasonable cost.

Terry

Archived