Out of lurkdom - with a question about metro thread

I've decided it's time to bite the bullet and come out of lurkdom. I have been addicted to this forum since way before I was able to get a millie. You are such a wonderful group. You provide so much encouragement, help, and inspiration to those of us that haven't quite mastered the art. And talent, did I mention TALENT? I am so inspired by the work on see on these pages!

I purchased by millie with the intention of quilting for others. I even have the business cards:D. I guess life and my day job keep getting in the way.

Anyway, the thing that pushed me to "come out" is a problem with thread breaking. I had seen previous posts about metro thread and decided to give it a try. I am working on a wedding quilt (of course) and I'm down to about 2 weeks (of course). Anyway, I'm using an all over panto. About every 18" of the panto, the thread breaks. When I pull the thread through by hand, it feels like it is getting caught in the tension disks. If I pull harder, sometimes it comes on thru and sometimes it breaks. I have taken the tension assembly apart and don't find anything unusual. I guess I should mention that I have a double bat on and it does feel like I'm dragging a little. I also have the metro thread in the bobbin. Looking back at previous postings, I'm not sure that I should run it top and bottom.

I am in the process of frogging what I have done. I decided to at least put So Fine in the bobbin but I really don't think that's the issue. Any suggestions?

I will almost bet that you have a burr on the cone of thread. The thread is probably catching on it. Check the cone first. I rarely ever have breaks with Metro thread and whenever I have it has been a burr on the cone. You can sand the area or use an xacto knife to trim it slightly.

If that doesn't solve the problem use a soft cloth and clean out between the disks. You can also try using a thread net (or a pair of panty hose if you don't have a net).

I have used metro successfully in both the bobbin and needle many times. Try pulling some off the cone and testing the strength of the thread with your hands just to make sure you don't have a bad spool. I also thread the guide located just above the tension disc from bottom to top. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome and the good advice. I checked things out and did find a burr on the thread cone. I never thought about that since it was a new one. Cleaned everything again and sanded the cone down and wah laaa. Thanks ladies! Happy camper again!:P:P:P:P

Archived