Need help with traditional blocks

I need some help. I have a raffle quilt for my DMs quilt group on the frame and I am stumped. There 16 different 12" blocks. They are all traditional blocks (star in a star, fan, hole in the barn door, etc.) It is done in American colors. She wants traditional quilting on it, and I'm not sure what that is. I THINK it means a lot of SID, cross hatch, etc. Does anyone know where I can get some examples of these blocks quilted? When I surf the net, I get a bunch of sources for making the blocks, but not quilting them. Any help would be appreciated. I can post a pic if anyone wants.

Peggy

I will echo "pictures please" as well!

I will say though, why make it "ordinary" when you have the talent to make it "extraordinary"?

Traditional blocks don't limit what you can do. And the request for traditional quilting is almost impossible to fulfill when using a longarm.

Traditional quilting would be diagonals through the seams, quarter-inch stitching from the seams, minimal stitching of motifs to match the fabric, some old-timey fat feathers in the border, maybe some straight crosshatching in the center of a motif. Perfectly acceptable of course, but *yawn*. Obviously this is more in line with hand quilting designs and that's fine if that's what they want. Can you nudge them a little to accept something with a little more oooomph?

If they like feathers, then feather something in each block. Or CC's or TT's (pick one or the other for continuity) throughout would unify the piecing--throw in a hook or scroll to bling it up a bit.

Here's a photo of a recent sampler--lots of CC's with a loop or swirl thrown in for interest. Lots of background fill, but with plainer traditional blocks like Card Trick, you can continue the CC's in the background.

post--1346190864024_thumb.jpg

Linda, your awesome! That is just what I was looking for. I love the way yours looks. And those are the same type of blocks I'm working with. Only mine are BLAH Americana colors, which I am sooo not a fan of. I did one block with just SID and cross hatch and it is just as you say. SO Boring. My Mom pieced the quilt, so it's pretty fair game for me to tell her what she wants. And I say she doesn't want boring.

Pics will have to wait until tomorrow, as my camera batteries are dead. I will for sure add them tomorrow. Then maybe someone will doodle on them? Please?

Peggy

Archived