techniques for making a quilt HELP!!!

My suggestion is to take a class at your local quilt shop, if that is a possibility. They would give you lots of "hands on" basics. You would also establish yourself as one of their customers which could be mutually beneficial. I get lots of inspiration just looking at the class samples that are hanging on the walls. Most quilt shops are a great resource for quilters of all experience levels. (PS-I am not suggesting you will get this type of help at the chain stores, just at your quilt shops.) Good luck.

Yes the quilt shops are great and you can really learn a lot there. The way I learned and I know it isn't possible for everyone, but if you know of a friend or someone who would be willing to give you one-on-one lessons that would be great. I went to a friend's home once a week and she got me through a complete quilt. I did pay her, but not that much. One thing you will find among quilters is....they love to share their knowledge. Never feel insecure because you don't know something or be afraid to ask a question. I have never met a better group of people when it comes to willingness to share ideas, or helping out a new quilter. Can't tell you how many "mini lessons" I have had just standing in a quilt shop and striking up a conversation with someone. If you have a local quilt guild they sometimes give beginning lessons. But I still prefer the one-on-one. Maybe it's because I'm a slow learner. LOL:P:P:P

Hope you enjoy your new hobby.

There are many very good books out there also. Even after you've had the classes and "mini-lessons" it is sometimes really good to have a book to reference back to. Start at your library and/or quilt shop. If you find one you really like buy it and keep it handy where you can grab it when you have questions.

Merry Jo, you beat me to it. I also found McCalls quilting full of info that I used when teaching my beginners. I teach at our local high school adult ed. I could not stress enough to my students the need for acuracy in cutting and pressing.

There is a wealth of info on the web, but nothing takes the place of a class with other students. It's fun and you meet so many nice people.

There is a Fons and Porter book that is very good for beginners too. I recommend it to some of my customers who are newer quilters and might be having a few problems. Also, you can get it at JoAnns with a 40% off coupon. I learned by trial and error. Watching Simply Quilts and from books.

Archived