Magnetic bobbin cases or bobbins

I really like the filltecs bobbins but I would love to be able to fill my own. I have seen magnetic bobbin cases, do they work in APQS machines. Do they help with tension like the filltecs bobbins? Where can i buy one? Finally is there a refillable magnetic bobbins?

Guest Linda S

Some people do magnetize their bobbin cases hoping that they will be as effective as the magnetic bobbins. It may help slightly, but it's just not the same. I find the Fil-Tec bobbins worth every penny and I don't mind not being able to re-wind them. Call me lazy, but I love them!

Yeah I love them but would just like the option of refilling for those odd color backings. It can add quite a bit to the cost of a quilt when you add postage. I just think it would be genius if someone could make a bobbins that had a magnetic core and hoping they will.

I never heard of magnetic cases and wanted more details.

Are we talking about Fil-Tec Magna Glide bobbins? ---I'm not sure how you would possibly reuse the magnetic cores and wind thread onto them.

The ones I use leave a small round green looking spindle when the compressed thread is used up.

Am I missing something here since I've only used the Magna Glide (green core) pre wounds---is there another magnetic pre wound that has actual "sides" like a regular bobbin that you want to reuse?

BTW---I love the Fil Tec Magna Glide green core pre wounds!;)

Guest Linda S

No - there aren't any magnetic core bobbins with sides. Some folks put their bobbin cases or metal bobbins in a magnetic pin dish, which will eventually give them a charge, hoping that said charge will be strong enough to help prevent the spin of the bobbin in normal sewing. It just doesn't work that way. It may help, but it's not the same. To me, Fil-Tec bobbins work out to be a bargain when I factor in the time they save me in ripping and fiddling with tension (I still fiddle a bit, but not a whole lot). Time is money, as they say!

Thanks Linda, ---well then I'm confused as to why anyone could feel they can wind their own thread on the tiny magnetic cores from Fil-Tec. They must be talking about another brand of pre wounds.

I'm looking at one the cores right now---no way rewinding thread on them would be possible that I can see.

I think the magna glides are great too----and they last a lot longer than one would think. I just finished a large quilt and only used 4 bobbins. That is about what I would have used if I had wound with my So-fine thread at just a tad less expense. I also factor in the value of time versus convenience when buying the magna glides. For me they are so worth it.

Angie I am looking for a magnetic bobbin that I can refill. Filltecs are awesome but sometimes I just want to be able to fill a bobbin myself. the magnetic cores really make a difference.

Dustee yes you would take out the back spring and use as you would another bobbin, they cut back on backlash so birds nest are less and the tension is perfect with out fuss. Thats why I would love a magnetic core bobbin that I could fill myself so I can use up my stash of threads.

Ok, don't call me crazy - but whenever someone ponders an unknown my mind starts cranking ideas. What about taking the adhesive backed magnetic stripping (comes in different widths) and sticking a piece, cut to size, to the inside of a regular bobbin (around the post of the bobbin, NOT the case). You would want it to be the full width of the post, but not beyond, so when you wind thread on the thread doesn't get stuck. Would that provide enough magnetism? I know - just a crazy idea to throw out there, Susan, because you want something refillable, but I too haven't heard of a commercially available refillable one. I personally love magna glide bobbins, but I do also wind my own and use the backlash spring and have no issues.

Archived