"Bird Nests"

Selah,

I know when you start up, if you pull up your bottom thread you shouldn't have those nests. I'm not certain why you have them when you stop, unless you are stitching in the same place too long...sometimes a knot will form on the backside. If you are almost out of bobbin, or your bobbin tension is way loose, that might cause it...altho I always thought those threads globs were from the top thread. So, have you checked your thread path....or even completly re threaded?? It really could be either one. I would first take out the bobbin, dust out the lint, and replace the bobbin. Then unthread and start over....make sure that the thread gets into the tension disks. Hope this helps.

Cheryl

APQS Liberty

I've also noticed that if I use very thin batting, Thermore, for example, I have more trouble with nesting - also if you are doing heavy thread painting type quilting, nests can occur, but this is just been my own experience.

To cure the problem. I use a thin cotton batting instead of Thermore when possible. It just seems to give me a little more 'fudge factor' when it comes to tension. An then I also use a thread that is as thin as possible if I know that I will be doing a design that calls for me to stop and start or dramatically change directions over and over in the same spot.

I have a Millenium and I can't imagine not having the SR to help out with these stops, starts and turns.

Hope this helps.

Do you hold on to your threads when you start out? I had a problem with bird nests and someone on another list told me that should fix it. The only problem comes when you are doing ruler work. You only have 2 hands. LOL. As for the stops, I don't know. I know my stops need practice.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Erin =)

I always pull up my threads in starting so that's not really a problem. For some reason, it's more with the stopping. Maybe I do stitch too long in one spot when stopping. Dumb question but what is the best way to stop your stitching with an Ult. 1? I usually use Hobbs or Warm/natural batting and my bobbin tension is good. My top thread is usually Superior and bobbin thread is prewound APQS. Thanks everyone!;)

When I had my Ult. I, I would just get to where I wanted to stop, back up a few stitches and come forward a few stitches back to my original stopping point. I don't know how long you've been using the machine but I think after a while, you'll figure out where the machine is going to stop and how many stitches you'll get after hitting the stop button.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Don't stitch in the same hole.

Archived