Minky borders

Bonnie H

My DD is giving her friend a baby shower and I'm making her a quilt. The backing is a pink "Minky" from Joann's and I was thinking of adding some Minky borders. Are there any tricks to using Minky in the borders? I've only used it as backing fabric.

Guest Linda S

I can imagine that if you're not very careful, you'll have some pretty stretchy borders. I think you may be a bit braver than I am in that regard!

Originally posted by delld

Never used it on top and back. Back only. I would think it will be thick but I suppose you would not much or any problem. GOOD LUCK!!!

Dell, I'm gonna need GOOD LUCK!!! I hadn't even thought about it being too thick to get under the hopping foot without problems. You have given me something else to think (umm, worry) about!

Originally posted by Linda S

I can imagine that if you're not very careful, you'll have some pretty stretchy borders. I think you may be a bit braver than I am in that regard!

Linda that was my worry. I may just ditch the idea after all. The quilt is all done and on the frame and then I got to thinking some Minky borders would be awesome. But maybe not!!

I pieced a minky quilt on my longarm...it was a strip quilt and so cute...minky front and back. It quilted beautifully. I had no issues with it and will continue to use minky backs as much as I can..they look so nice when quilted and are so soft. I just was careful not to tighten it too much on the frame.

You can without much problem. I have you will need a larger seam allowance and use a walking foot to put it on. I'm not normally a pinker but put dome pins in it. I make university of Wyoming blankets all in Minot and have never had to raise my hopping foot. Yes I am licensed to make and sell them thrum the university so no violation here. I know several people who aren't and it in my opinion they should follow copyright owed like everyone roar.

Shirley

Originally posted by Bonnie H

My DD is giving her friend a baby shower and I'm making her a quilt. The backing is a pink "Minky" from Joann's and I was thinking of adding some Minky borders. Are there any tricks to using Minky in the borders? I've only used it as backing fabric.

I would also advise your to pin and ease the border with walking foot. As for the quilting, I have done a few with minky borders. You probably can't do a panto, but if you can SID to nail down the border, the rest is pretty much the same.

Here are a couple of photos of one that had minky back, minky border and blocks out of chenille, satin and cotton.

2645230630029409929S600x600Q85.jpg

2159158130029409929S600x600Q85.jpg

Shirley and Ann, I wouldn't have thought to use the walking foot but that is a wonderful idea. I can see how that would be beneficial in keeping things from s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g!!!

Ann, thank you for posting photos of your quilt with Minky borders. You did a great job! I ended up not doing the borders. In fact, I just finished the last hand-stitching of the binding and am done :) But now I wish I had tried the Minky border. It's now on the "need to try" project list.

Archived