Interfacings

Our guild is having a handbag/purse/tote show in September so I think I will make one after seeing all the beautiful ones some members have made and shared recently!

So this has me wondering about interfacings. I don't have a lot of regular kind of sewing experience (just quilts) and don't have experience with too many interfacings. Some of the patterns I'm interested use interfacings such as Craft Fuse, Peltex 71, Shape-Flex, Thermolam Plus, and Timtex. I'm clueless as to the differences. Which type of interfacing do you like to use when making a tote or a purse?

BTW, Joann's is having a 50% off sale on their interfacings on Sunday, July 1st. And 60% off their wall notions the same day.

Some of the difference is how stiff or firm you want your bag to have. I'm guessing (since I haven't used and seen all of those you listed) that most of your list is the firmer hold it shape and stand up straight variety. You could use W&N batting if you want some body but still have a "slump" to your bag. If you want just a bit of support for any pockets (inside or outside) then use fusible regular sewing interfacing. That comes in the three weights also, light, medium and heavy. For bags, a medium would probably be a good general use weight.

I have some soft shape that I want to use, but haven't had time yet. Have fun with yours.

Bonnie,

I haven't made any bags but have used a product called Soft and Stable. Annie Unrein is usually in the Superior Threads booth at large shows. She designs a lot of bag patterns and has developed this product for that purpose. It isn't an interfacing as such but depending on the pattern may work as well or better.

http://www.byannie.com/shop/category/supplies-and-tools/byannies-soft-and-stable/

I had an email yesterday about interfacings and bag making. ALready deleted but the jist was. Use some time of fusible interfacing on all bags. Lightwieght on fabric to give it some form, Medium weight if you want a bit of stiffness, and the hevy wieght ones you mention if you want the bag to stay upright by itself.

She slo used a lightwieght fusible batting if you wanted a padded effect with the lightweight interfacing, depending on the project.

I buy the lightweight interfacing by the rol form our equivalent of Joanne's, as I use that to join my batting.

Archived