Wool Batting and Thread color...

I'm going to have to stop reading these posts if there continue to be log cabin quilts pictured!! Makes me want to run home from work and start one, and I already have a ton of UFO's in assorted stages of the finishing process before putting on my machine.

I dearly love log cabin quilts. I used that pattern for my first bed-sized quilt and it has been on my bed for so many years, it's falling apart.

Thanks for the motivation--but not another UFO!

Alayne Pettyjohn

City Quilting

Beautiful colors! Gorgeous quilt! Thank you for sharing with us. I love log cabin patterns, anyway, so I'm glad you posted a pic of it.

BTW, does anyone know the name or source of a log cabin pattern that has makes a large heart in the center of the quilt (with the log blocks)?

Thanks again!;)

I only use wool in the quilts on my bed. My dog quilt (the one I don't stress about when the dogs sleep on the bed) is made of wool and I just pop it in the washing machine all the time. I got a roll (25 yards) from lequilter.com (linda's electric quilter) wholesale. Alot of the quilt stores don't carry it around here.

Originally posted by pfrost

BTW, does anyone know the name or source of a log cabin pattern that has makes a large heart in the center of the quilt (with the log blocks)?

Thanks again!;)

You may want to try the following site: http://quiltusa.com/logcaquinne.html. There is an absolutely yummy quilt in the APQS gallery that looks the same as this.

Those enquiring about Hobbs wool batting: one of the award-winning quilters (whose quilt was featured in a recent Quilter's Newsletter Magazine) said she 'loves' Matilda's Wool/poly batting over Hobbs for a number of reasons. The Hobbs had too many thick and thin spots throughout the batting and it stretched considerably. In the Matilda's batting, there was consistent thickness, it draped softly and even with micro-stippling, it doesn't buckle up, distort or become stiff. You can also get a 100% wool batt, but she felt the polyester helped stabilize the batt. I'm sure, however, there are other quilters who would argue Hobbs over something else, so I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Apparently, Matilda's is only available in the US.

Carolyn

Guest Linda S

Cynthia - nice quilt. I buy my batting from Checker Distributors - www.checkerdist.com You need a wholesale business number, but the price is great. They carry Hobbs, Warm, etc. With the mixture of colors on that quilt, I think this would be the perfect time to use the "baby poop green" that people seem to favor with purpley-reds and greens.

Linda

Kingsmen quilting suppliers in IL also carries wool batting--you do not need to have a wholesale number to order from them.

While we are on the subject of log cabins I have a question. A customer just gave me a 90 x 100 log cabin on which she wants freehand feathers and other meandering in each section. If I am going to do a freehand feather border, should I do the entire border first and pin baste the middle or do the border as I go along? Also, do any of you ever load your quilts on point? I have gotten some conflicting advice on this issue :o--I am really anxious to start this quilt but afraid to do the wrong thing!

Archived