Chenille-by-the-inch

I have a client who plans to put some chenille-by-the-inch embellishment on the inner border and several of the blocks of her quilt. Is it better to stitch the chenille on before the top is quilted or after? I'm thinking it might not matter either way, but was wondering if anyone has done this already.

Thanks for your help.

Patty

I'm finishing the handquilting on a baby quilt for a friend, (I don't have my machine yt, still a wannabe!), it has 2 chennille borders. Having seen all the issues and cautions about lint and loose threads causing problems here's my 2 cents: Chenille has a tremendous amout of lint and the threads come out with the slightest tug. If I were you I would not put anything Chennille on my machine at all!

Hi Patty - sounds like you have a very pretty quilt to do! Kenna is right

about the amount of lint and loose threads with Chenille. As far as doing it

before or after - it depends on what you are planning to do for the quilting.

For example: if you were going to crosshatch the border (that the chenille

WILL be going in) - put it on afterwards. That way you can stitch your lines

with no stops and starts......

But - you may want to echo the chenille. In that case - you need it on first.

I don't think it will cause very many problems to stitch around it, perhaps over

it, but not even that if you are using a strong poly thread and a bigger

needle. It would be just like quilting a flannel quilt. You may have to blow-

out and clean your bobbin case more often with this project, but thats not

to big of a deal either.

Good luck - and I hope you share a photo with us after you are able to quilt it!

Any embellishment should be added after quilting with a longarm. You cannot get close enough with the hopping foot and probably don't want to catch any fringe that you may need to unstitch. I vote for application after--just my opinion!!

I had a Christmas quilt of exchanged blocks this year and every one was loaded with buttons, ribbons, and some beading--a nightmare as I popped off things that were glued on!! I saved all trinkets in a baggy for re-application. My customer understood the problem and I learned a lesson for next time!

Happy New Year to all in our "family" of quilters. May your stitches be even, your tension be perfect, and you smile through your day!

Linda Rech

Olympia

Archived