Darlene Zimmerman has great hints question

Bonnie, I'm working on my first applique quilt (Erin Russek's "My Tweets") that I hope to finish this year. I'd love to fancy the edge up with a scallop but I've never done one before. I'd love to see Darlene Zimmerman's tips and tricks on this. I do know that she has a special template for scalloping that is called "Easy Scallops." I've seen it at Joann's before. I wonder if her tips are in the template. I need to get to Joann's this week and will be sure to look and see. I'll let you know what I find on it, if anything!

UPDATE: Darlene's site says that her Easy Scallop tool has instructions in her books and at www.ezquilt.com. I found this tutorial there: http://www.simplicity.com/t-tutorials-quilting-Easy-Scallop.aspx

Bonnie, I meant to mention that I have Quilt in a Day's scallop ruler, though I haven't used it yet. Jenny at Missouri Quilts does a great video showing how to scallop the edges with this particular ruler. Maybe it will help you? I will still look at Joann's to see if there are any tips or tricks listed by Darlene for her ruler.

I have the EZScallop templates and use them all the time--especially for marking border feather spines. It's one of my most-used things and so easy to understand.

NOTE: the link Bonnie shared above to the printed tutorial uses single-layer bias strips--not double-fold strips. It works well and results in a thin, single-layer binding that looks great on a DWR.

Thanks for the info. What I was looking for was the technique she used to attach the binding one of the older post asked about what to charge for doing a Dbl wedding ring quilt bias and was mentioned about her hints.

"Darlene Zimmerman has great hints for DSM attaching of bias binding to scallops and curves. No pleats in the top and a perfect pivot in the sharp corners. "

Will check out the sites mentioned a little closer and see if I can find out what they were talking about. Thanks for helping:)

I looked at the site Bonnie H gave me and seems to be what I am wanting to know. I was just having issues with the binding when it was at the peaks and when I folded the binding back to sew it down it wasn't very pretty even when I would clip it towards the seem. Well perhaps I just need to pratice more. Thanks!

If this is helpful, Bonnie--Darlene suggests the single-layer bias binding. She says to pin the binding only to the arc you are working on. Stitch up to the inside point while letting the binding lay loose. Needle down in the inside point, shift the top to stitch in the new direction while the needle holds the layers, then bring the binding into line for the next arc and stitch several stitches. Now you can pin the binding to the next arc. The pivot is perfect without a pleat and the fold to the back makes a natural miter in the binding.

If you are scalloping a regular straight border, it's recommended to only mark the scallops, not cut them. Mark the scalloped line, lay the binding on the line and stitch all around. Then trim the excess fabric away, doing a careful clip in the inside corners.

Archived