question about hiding threads

Not sure what is the correct way to do this. Once I get to the end of the pattern should I do a little back stitch (which always shows up and I try to move very little on the stitch so not sure if I am doing that right) then I bring up my bottom thread and cut both off. Then do I tie a knot with both threads down to the stitching and then bury the threads where I tied it. Is this right or am I totally off the idea?

Just trying to improve my techniques for a better product and knew aI could get the advice here.

Bonnie, I always just bring up my bottom thread, tie a knot and bury the knot about an inch into the batting layer, I then carefully clip off the end that comes back up after an inch and that goes back inside so that you only see the last stitch where you end. If you are planning to show a quilt, I have learned that it is best to start and end in another seam so you can't tell where stitching starts and ends.

So do I tie the knot further away from where the thread comes off the design and then pull into the batting? Also I am doing a feather design that has only one place that would start or end in a seam. I am trying to not do so many lines in the stem so I have been stopping within the stem. I am not very good at staying within the same line so thought that would help eliminate some of the lines. Perhaps I am trying to make things too hard.

Thnaks for the direction on the burying of thread.

I do just like Vicki. I tie my knot pretty close to the top and then pop it through. As for where to start and stop Vick is right do it in a seam if at all possible but you can also do with if the motif is set away. The key is to do it so that it is not obvious where you ended. In the big world of things don't get too caught up with it. I've had judges say my starts and stops are 9 out of 10 and another judge on the same quilt will say it is a 7 out of 10. All very subjective. I am very careful to put my needle in right where I stopped so that you can't see where it ended. Other than that I don't stress too much about it. There are plenty of quilts that win ribbons that don't knot and bury but I personally like knotting and burying and I can do it just as fast and stitch a line of small stitches. I also find that my thread do end up fraying some over time without knotting and burying.

Archived