comic book boards for fabric

Lynda Newell has a great storage system using the boards. I hope she sees this and posts some photos.

She bought wire towers at a great price at I believe IKEA and her DH used wheels from Harbor Freight to make a base for each tower. She has fabric on the boards arranged by color and facing out on all four sides. Pulling out one tower and spinning it gives her access to all sides and they roll easily. Fabric is folded to fit the height of the boards and I assume you can load whatever lengths you have up to maybe two yards.

Lynda?

Hi Amy,

I have a similar (more expensive) fabric storage system that I used a few years ago. Now that I know about the comic book backing boards, I would not hesitate to use them.

You can get a glimpse of how I use the organizers in these photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cDtNXP_oM9Jm-gAVXHEWNNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KtWu8UaN94AGPGQuyEFJwNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

You can put yards and yards of fabric on these type of organizers. I love using them as I can see everything. I have a northwest, somewhat shady sewing room with no direct sunlight. I've had no fading problems.

Hi Amy,

I too use the boards, I put mine in baskets that I can pull out and look at. I have very deep shelves is why I put in the baskets. Sorted by color and season. You can put as many yards on that you want. Most of mine are 1 yard up to 4 yards. I am like Angie, a very shady room and the baskets are out of direct sun light. I got the comic boards on Amazon for about $7.00 per 100. I brought 4 packs the first time and thought I would have enough:P

Hi all,

I have quite a lot of fabric to store ;) and I had a hard time seeing what I actually had. I bought comic boards and magazine boards at comic book stores. I use the smaller (6 3/4"X 10 1/2") size for cuts under a yard. I used the larger ( 8 1/2' X 11") size for larger cuts. The only scraps I save are batiks and I folded anything less than 1/2 yard into a bin and smaller scraps into plastic shoe boxes. I have as much as 5 yards on a board. I fold the cuts in half lengthwise and just put a board down and roll away. It really went fast. I originally bought 200 of the small ones and 200 of the large ones. I went back and got 300 smalls and 100 larges to finish. I have about 50 of each for future purchases:o!! I found the boards to be actually cheaper at the stores than I could find online, of course I had to go into Portland (75 miles) for them so I had to wait for someother need or appointment to make the trip.

Here are some pics of my system. The shelving units came from IKEA and the moving dollies from Harbor Freight. I have them next to each other sideways and just pull one out and swivel around to get what I need. I really love it.

There are more pictures of my space on my webshots if anyone isn't already bored with looking at it.

2223047940098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

2279340240098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

2019705140098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

2237719180098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived