quilting with rulers

I use rulers a great deal when doing custom quilting. They are a great help/necessity for me. I have a few that I use all the time and several that I use ocassionally. Like most quilters, I have a few that I never use... I recommend going to some of the shows where the rulers are demonstrated and decide which ones may work for you or find another longarmer that will let you play with their "toys and tools" to see if maybe some of what they like would be what you would use.

If you search this forum on "rulers" I am sure you will find a good deal of information as this topic has come up several times with people listing their favorites.

Generally, I use rulers to do straight lines, circles and ovals. I also use them for cross-hatching, both curved and straight. If a shape or line has to be placed very precisely, I use rulers. I also have a set of rulers I use for continuous curves, because I prefer precise curves to the free-hand ones. I am more accurate on my continuous curves using rulers, unless the curves are vary small. I have used rulers to guide stitching around applique shapes if the shapes are large.

Well this kind of answers my question. I have been trying to make my stitching more precise when going back over stitching. I have found a few rulers that I like to use just not very good at it. Was wondering if most of you use a ruler pretty consistantly to get your back stitching and other designs to look good. I find I am pretty slow at using a ruler to guide the longarm is that normal?

Archived