Any Cheerleaders out there

I've been suckered. My daughters cheerleading coach wasn't able to fullfill her duties and they wouldn't be able to have a team without a coach. Well I felt sorry for them and volunteered. I have never been a cheerleader, I was the fat girl in the pep squad, you know the one with the big mouth and said the cheers really loud.:D It's been 25 years since I have even done that.

So if any of you have done this before PLEASE give advice and of course pray.:(

What have you got yourself into?! Ha Ha! How nice of you to volunteer for your daughters and their squad. (coming from a boy mom!) I was the one who always made fun of the cheerleaders and still do.....oh, did I say that?! Please don't hold it against me everyone!

I am giving it to you good here because I've been there! I have volunteered for these type of things more times than I can count. After every time I tell my self never again. No pay, lot's of time and hard work. But, never am I more proud or more greatly rewarded! Kudos to you, good luck and have fun. I'm sure you will do great!

I obviously know nothing about Rah Rah's, I mean cheerleaders; I think they have websites for support/guidelines and such. They do for all of the youth sports. I've heard the same for cheer.

Knock 'em dead!

(If I knew any cheers I would say one here)

Thank you for the words of support. I will let you know how it goes and post a picture of my girls. I am sort of excited but wondering when I will fit it in. Then I think of the time with my daughter and it will be all worth it. They grow up way to fast. I did get a bunch of hugs from the girls when I said that I would do it, that was cool. They have a game tonight and they feel confident enough to cheer so I said lets go for it.

GO COUGARS!

I was defintaly not cheerleader material in school..................can you say unpopular! I was on the swim team though and was very athetic.

In any case I am replying becaue I was the coach for my 11 year olds soccer team this past fall and I have never played the game myself. I do not think you have to have been a cheerleader in order to be a good coach. What you do need is to be able to motivte the kids, get them excited, get them to work together, and mostly come up with some great routines for them to do. Use your most talented kids to demo, even have the kids tell you what they want to do.

I had a wonderful time being the coach and really got to see some of the girls just bloom and improve like you would not believe. We started out on a looseing streak but by midseason we became the team to try to beat. The last game we beat the undefeated team and I do not know who was more excited me or the girls!

I was a cheerleader in high school. A bad one at that. I cheared for Football and have no idea how to play the game. I also cheered for wrestling. And wouldn't let my own son go out for the sport.

Unfortunately that was all 16 some years ago so I wouldn't be much help. But like sewingupastorm stated that just being there and motivating the girls is what is is all about. Just think of how much you and your daughter will bond.

I know that my brother, who is a teacher in AZ took on some coaching position because no one else would and he didn't want to disappoint the kids. They did well. You'll be surprise what those kids will teach you.

Good luck and have a ball.

Angela

How old is your daughter? mine is 7 years old and has been cheering for 3 years. our program has trainers who are usually girls around 14 or 15 that have been cheerleaders in the same program for a while. the trainers do most of the cheer training . the coach helps with the cheer training and coordinating the parents and what cheers to do when. our program also has a book of cheers that they use year to year.

Best of luck with your coaching. If you have any specific questions I am good friends with one of our coaches and I could always pick her brain for info.

Candyski,

My daughter is 15 and the school she attends is a Charter School so it is small. I called my niece who was a cheerleader in High School and she said that she will help me, YEAH! Poor things had a game last night and they only knew 4 cheers and they stood there in ready form. They didn't move when the guys made a basket, so finally I told them to cheer their team on even if it wasn't a group cheer just do something. They did perk up a bit but hopefully I can change that with some practices.

Keep praying.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the support. We made it through pep rally and homecoming with a good floor cheer. The girls did an awesome job considering we only had 3 practices, the spankies came in just in time and the poms we had to borrow because ours didn't make it.

Great idea April. We have a college in our town, that could be a start. They are learning more sideline cheers and doing well.

I really need to get a picture of them and post it they look really cute.

Archived