Loading a Quilt for the First Time

I'm a newbie, so please bear with me...I purchased a used longarm a few months ago and now have 3 tops I'd like to machine quilt. I have also purchased the zippers so I want to use them too.

I have read about the full/semi floating a quilt and am quite confused...I've looked at my machine and I have 3 rollers, but I don't see a leveling bar. Some have talked about taking 1 roller off...some talk about attaching the top&bottom of the backing with zippers, and only attaching the top right onto the batting/backing (not the bottom of the quilt top). When I ordered the zippers I rec'd 2 sets...do I only use 1 set or what is the 2nd set for? Also, some have described marking the leaders in 1-inch increments, so you keep the width of the quilt the same width measurement as you're quilting the machine...how do you keep this width measurement visible, as you roll the quilt the leaders become covered?

As you can see by the questions, I'm quite overwhelmed by the different info and can't see clear one technique that makes sense to me. I'd really like to have my first quilt be a success, so if you can simply describe the technique you use step-by-step I really, really appreciate it.

Thanks again for all the help!

HI paboriginal.

I have an Ultimate II and I will be happy to try to answer some of your questions. Your machine should have 2 rollers in the front and one in the back. The one in the back is the take up roller. The two in the front are for your top and backing fabrics. The batting just kind of squishes between them and hangs or you can roll it up and set it up there.

I don't have the zippers, but several do, and I'm sure they can help you with that. You're right, your machine doesn't have a level bar, so don't let that confuse you.

What I personally do is attach the top of the backing to the take up roller with pins, attach the bottom of the backing to the backing roller (bottom one in front) with pins and roll it up tight (not too tight). Then I pin the bottom of my quilt top to the top front roller and roll it up. I pin the top of the quilt top to the backing, through the batting. I do not pin the top of the quilt to the canvas leader. I have done one quilt where I didn't roll the quilt top at all, just left it draped (full float), but it kept getting under my feet,so I didn't like that.

I hope this helps some. Bonnie can probably explain it better than I can when she signs on.

paboriginal, Welcome to our happy family.

Not really sure what I can add to Teresa's answer...She does it just like I do...I don't full float things as I don't like the top flopping down by my feet...I have big feet and wasn't comfortable with it laying on the floor...so I use the partial float method. I don't have zippers either, so I'm not sure exactly how they work.

I do clamp the sides of my backing and batting and use pins to hold the top if it needs it...sometimes if you don't hold the sides of the top it pulls in when you sew it. and if you are not careful you get an hour shaped quilt when its done.

The only other thing that I have done to my machine is rig up a batting pole so that I have three poles in front....the third holds my batting and it keeps it not only tight but out of my way while I quilt....have stepped on enough of them that I don't like to stop and fix the whole I put into them. :(

If you would like pictures of the steps...maybe I can get some when I put on my next quilt....and send them to you if that would help. Just let us know what we can do to help you further.

Paboriginal - I would have preferred to put this novella into an email but you don't have one on your profile. So here goes. I know that you will probably also hear from Bonnie, Cheryll and Teresa - they have Ult II. Mine is an Ult I but very similar.

Good practices:If you are going to sew, use your clamps. Clamps are attached to the backing only. The backing should not pull severely when clamped.

Terminology: ( you said you only have 3 rollers so you do not have a leveling roller)

Take-Up roller is at the back of the machine. It is the one "inside" the throat of the machine. Your quilt backing

will be zipped onto this roller. Your entire quilt will be 'taken up' on this roller

Belly roller is the one that touches your belly :P from the front of the machine. The bottom of your quilt backing will be rolled onto this roller.

The middle roller will hold the zippered bottom of the quilt top unless you float your quilt.

Full float means no zippers are used on the quilt top.

Zippers.... you will love them once you get the procedure down. First you have to install the zippers.

You get 3 complete zippers in a machine set. They come with excellent instructions though the zippers are clearly labelled.

You sew 3 of the half zippers onto your longarm canvas leaders. My husband helped with this. He just steadied the zipper against the canvas as I slowly sewed it with the longarm.

The other 3 zipper halves go like this...

I baste (or you can pin) the top and bottom of the backing on separate zipper halves using my domestic sewing machine (DSM).

I now float my quilt top so I don't use the zipper marked "quiltop bottom left". Before I floated, I basted (or pinned) the bottom of the quilt top to the third zipper half also using my DSM.

Then I carry the pieces to my longarm.

-Zip the backing onto the take-up and belly rollers (top and bottom)

-Roll the backing onto the belly roller smoothing out puckers and wrinkles. Leave some slack in backing. The back-side of the backing should be face up.

- Zip the bottom of the quilt top onto the middle roller. Roll it completely onto the roller to keep it out of the way for now. (Skip this step for a full float).

-Place the batting on top of the quilt backing as close to the top of the backing as you can get it. You may want to pin it every 6". You will be basting this batting on so do not pin close to the top. With the top of the batting pinned to the top of the of the backing, smooth the batting along the width of the quilt and finesse the batting between the middle roller and the belly roller. Smooth it gently. The batting (and quilt top if floated) drapes over the belly roller and falls to the floor (depending on length; it is loose).

Tighten the belly roller carefully smoothing the batting on top too and set the brake (right front) on the belly roller. Do not make this tight or you will break thread when you quilt. You're not supposed to be able to bounce a quarter off the quilt :P :P

-Slowly baste the batting to the backing. Remove the pins from the batting/backing. Release the brake.

- Lay the quilt top (pretty side up) (unroll from the middle roller if you used zipper) carefully onto the already basted top edge of the backing/batting. Pin the quilt top about every 6" like you did the batting. Tighten the belly roller again smoothing the 3 layers and set the brake. Now baste the quilt top onto the backing/batting at the top near the take-up roller. Remove the pins.

640float.jpg

The reason I float my quilts is I was finding bunny ears or stretched corners on the bottom of my quilts when I used the zippers on the bottom of the quilt top. The quilting process shrinks or pulls in the quilt as you quilt it. Then when you get to the bottom and the bottom of the quilt top is nailed to the zipper, there can be no pulling in there so it does not seem to match the rest of the quilt. It's really just matter of preference. I'm sure there is a way to use the zipper without the bunny ears, I just don't know what it is.

You are now ready to start quilting. By the way, welcome board and don't forget to have fun.

Thanks for all the info...the definition of the terms really helped too! It's starting to make sense how the rollers work. One question though, do you measure the width as you quilt, or just keeping it taunt will assure you of the same width throughout the quilt?

Again, thanks for the information, your responses in detail really helped!!!

These were excellent instructions on the zippers. I have not purchased them yet, but might this year at MQS shopping frenzy night:D:D I am just completing my first full-float quilt top and not sure I would do it again as I don't like it hanging at my feet either. It also is a problem for me to get to the bobbin when you need to. I purchased a very long 2" dowel rod (like a huge curtain rod) and have simply rolled up my batting on it and let it sit in that nice little space between the rolled quilt top and the rolled backing. It also is cushy to lean on if you have to rip-rip-rip. When I advance my quilt onto the take-up bar, I simply drop the batting roll to the floor, advance and then roll it back up. A little time involved but it keeps it nice and neat and out of way.

I have a question for someone: My DH purchased the micro-driver for me at Christmas. Since I don't have SR, does it just take lots of practice to turn on the machine and get your hands down quick enough to get moving on the micro-driver? Thanks anyone for some advice.:o

Paboriginal,

The quilt will pretty much stay okay in the width department, but if you are concerned or you do see it pulling in at the sides you can pin each side as you roll the quilt...it will keep it in place and you won't have to worry about it.

If you are quilting a really DENSE design or a tight background...the tighter you make the stitches the tighter your quilt will draw up so this would be another reason to watch the side and want to pin.

HOWEVER....remember to remove the pins as you go and don't hit them with the needle....makes a big mess when you hit a pin...can throw your machine out of timing and that's just the beginning of your stress.

I was very streesed out trying to figure it out so I looked at the Ultimate Guide to Machine Quilting by Theilen my spelling might be wrong on her name. Do you have the manual that came with the machine? It is very basic and I feel could be much better. I think you can order one from APQS and they may have updated it. Good luck. I love my machine and it's an Ultimate 2 but we do have issues and I attribute them to my error for the most part. I break thread, get occassional loopies and even break a needle. The supoort at APQS is great they will try to help you work through anything you have.

Sherry, I see cardboard tubes on the quilt roller, does this hold the top in place pretty good for you? I have used 3-4 bicycle clips, but like the idea of the cardboard tubes because they go the entire length of the quilt. Do you float a really large quilt or do you roll it? How do you handle the quilt on the floor?

Thanks for your help

Sharon.

Sherry,

And the blue tape seems to be lined up with the edge of

the quilt. Is that a marker?

A friend gave me some notched 2" wide PVC pieces that I

snap onto the middle roller. The PVC is really just a marker

so I can notice if my top starts drifting to the right. But I also

like that it keeps the unused middle roller's canvas rolled up

and out of the way.

Hi Sharon

Since nothing is secured to any roller, it is still easy to pop your arm under the side of the batting and top and remove and replace the bobbin.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by countrystitcher

Hi Sherry: thanks, I may try the elastic. Just one more question, IF you need to get to your bobbin area in the middle of quilting - isn't the floating quilt in the way? I'm trying to visualize all of this!!!

Bingo!

I hate it when that canvas starts unrolling!

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

Sherry,

And the blue tape seems to be lined up with the edge of

the quilt. Is that a marker?

A friend gave me some notched 2" wide PVC pieces that I

snap onto the middle roller. The PVC is really just a marker

so I can notice if my top starts drifting to the right. But I also

like that it keeps the unused middle roller's canvas rolled up

and out of the way.

Archived