Does your longarm groups give ribbons?

Hello everyone,

I am taking a pole if possible about if the quilt groups you belong to, do they recognize the longarmer on a quilt the wins a ribbon? So if a customer gives you a quilt, tells you that it is going to be entered in a show, and it then wins, any placement, does your longarm group give you a "longarm ribbon?" Please let me know.

If you would like to email me personally or just respond to this is fine.

rosemariemaynes@gmail.com

Rose in AZ.

Longarm groups and machine quilting shows always give two ribbons. Quilt shows--probably never give two ribbons. It's a perspective thing, an education thing, and sometimes a money thing. My guild won't pay out the money for double ribbons. Big quilt shows are slow to change. Recognizing the two aspects of a quilt--piecing and quilting--goes against the overall award system. I imagine the judges take it all in and the best of shows and grand champions win because the piecing and the quilting are winners as a combination.

Just to show you--a local woman buys specially-ordered appliqued tops from Thailand. She pays about $150 for gorgeous hand-appliqued tops, longarms them beautifully and enters them herself. Most shows want the owner of the quilt to be named on the entry. She bought it, she owns it, and she enters it. And wins big. But she didn't make it, she quilted it. Just the reverse of someone who pieces a top, buys a custom quilting job, doesn't name the quilter, and wins big.

The Arizona Quilters Guild gives a ribbon to the quilter if the quilter is identified. For many years, many members of the Arizona Longarm Quilters Guild were board members of the AQG and they made sure ribbons were handed out to the quilter. The ribbons are usually green and say "I quilted an award winning quilt." However, with this being said, several years ago Jessica Jones quilted a quilt and the quilt won a Best of Machine Quilting 1st place ribbon or Exemplary Machine Quilting (I can't remember exactly which one it was but it was the biggest award you could get). When the owner of the quilt asked who gets the big gorgeous ribbon, she was told it should stay with the quilt and Jessica was given a green I quilted an award winning quilt ribbon. Jessica was awarded several other small prizes but not a big ribbon. I personally think since this award was for the quilting and not the piecing, Jessica should have received the big ribbon to hang in her studio. I hope Jessica jumps in and explains this a little bit better than I am.

So in short, yes in the big Arizona Quilters Guild show in the Spring machine quilters, if they are different than the piecer, receive ribbons.

The Missouri State Fair doesn't even mention the longarm quilter's name. Both quilt guilds I belong to mention the quilter's name, but no ribbon is awarded. A large show in a neighboring city mentions the quilter, but no ribbon is given. They do, however, have a ribbon for "best machine quilting" separate from the ribbons in the quilt categories. At least its a chance to get SOME recognition.

Most of our local shows give 2 ribbons for the 2 person quilt category, but only one ribbon in the group category or in any category that does not specifically say that more then one person worked on the quilt. The Carolina Longarm Association will also give a ribbon to any show in NC that would like us to. It is to recognize our peers. We actually send out a judging panel and award the ribbon in addition to any other ribbons that the show has. We have been doing this for longer then I have been a member and it seems to work well for the show and for us. If you have a longarm group, it is great for us because it also means that we are getting our groups name out there. We have gotten several member by doing this program.

Archived