HELP - Need thread advice

As I am not a very adventureous quilter, I have only used two different threads. They are: So fine and Rainbows. My Millie started with Rainbows and didn't seem to mind at all.

However, I have tried Metro and am not able to adjust tensions properly. Does anyone have a suggestion for the bottom tension reading on the towa gauge? I NEED ALL OF THE HELP I CAN GET.

Know I have read discussions about Metro threads, but cannot find them.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

I have a Lenni and I have rarely had thread problems, except......with Metro. When it was fiirst mentioned here I bought some and it did pretty well, except the stitches didn't look as nice as usual. Then I ordered more and was not happy at all. I now have quite a few colors and can't wait for it to be gone:( What are you using in the bobbin? I almost always use BL and have NEVER adjusted the bobbin tension. Now to your question; this thread is very slick. You need to try to tame it. Do you have the piece of batting in the thread guide directly above the cone of thread? This helped with the whipping of the thread as it comes off the cone. The whipping seems to cause the thread to not run smoothly along the path. Also, I changed the way the thread is threaded in the three hole guide above the tension disk. I went thru the first and last holes without wrapping around the guide.(all threads work with this path now) This has helped tremendously but sometimes the thread will still break. The top thread tension is really loose but Lenni seems to like this with all threads. I have to go slower with this thread and still watch for the thread catching in strange places because the thread really whips around, especially if you're going fast. I have had this thread catch on the three hole guide, the guide above the cone, even with batting, and it has come off the finger, L thingy hook, don't know what it is called, that you hook the thread around after it goes thru the tenson disk. It is really slippery. This is one of those cases for me where good price is not good because it requires more time and patience. I can use it but like I said, I have to watch it. Hope this gives you some other options to look at.

Dell, thanks for numbers for towa gauge. Will try that range.

Janice, thread Millie the same as you do your Lenni. Same path as you use. My problem may be that I tried to use Metro in the bobbin also.. Will try some bottom line with it and see how it works. Have messed with it several time and never quilted a quilt using this thread. I bought several spools because of the price and I love all of those luscious colors.

Have a friend who has an embroidery machine - will see if she can use this product.

My DH put some things (he bought at a fishing supply store) on my machine to give me a thread path with more controls. Not very clear(and he has retired for the night). Don't know what you call them, but they do help control the thread better. Can you guess who does all of the maintenance on my machine?

When I b ought my machine I was going to take lessons; but everytime I would p[lan on signing up or attending a big quilt show, Mother Nature would find a reason for me to visit a hospital and then have rehab. Getting old is so much fun - but I really am very fortunate - am pushing 80 and life is good. Many of my friends are gone and I miss those friendships. Have made many new friends (all much younger) thru quilting. Do not get out (only to Church, grocery store and family functions). This forum has taught me much of what I know about longarm quilting (and a little experience has taught me what not to do.

I hope everyone reading this post realize how much good they do for other quilters. I know I really appreciate all of the wisdom I get from this site. Whenever I have a questionsssssssss, someone always supplies me with a solution.

God bless and thanks.

Marilyn

Originally posted by gardenslug

Dell, thanks for numbers for towa gauge. Will try that range.

Janice, thread Millie the same as you do your Lenni. Same path as you use. My problem may be that I tried to use Metro in the bobbin also.. Will try some bottom line with it and see how it works. Have messed with it several time and never quilted a quilt using this thread. I bought several spools because of the price and I love all of those luscious colors.

Have a friend who has an embroidery machine - will see if she can use this product.

My DH put some things (he bought at a fishing supply store) on my machine to give me a thread path with more controls. Not very clear(and he has retired for the night). Don't know what you call them, but they do help control the thread better. Can you guess who does all of the maintenance on my machine?

When I b ought my machine I was going to take lessons; but everytime I would p[lan on signing up or attending a big quilt show, Mother Nature would find a reason for me to visit a hospital and then have rehab. Getting old is so much fun - but I really am very fortunate - am pushing 80 and life is good. Many of my friends are gone and I miss those friendships. Have made many new friends (all much younger) thru quilting. Do not get out (only to Church, grocery store and family functions). This forum has taught me much of what I know about longarm quilting (and a little experience has taught me what not to do.

I hope everyone reading this post realize how much good they do for other quilters. I know I really appreciate all of the wisdom I get from this site. Whenever I have a questionsssssssss, someone always supplies me with a solution.

God bless and thanks.

Marilyn

Amen ,this forum is my class ,cant wait for a day I might have time to attend one to meet some of these wonderful people and to see how to quilt the proper way ,I just wing it but its just for my personal enjoyment,was getting too old to be crawling around on the concrete floor pinning quilts ,lol ,and then struggle to quilt them on my vintage singer that is older than myself and to end up with pleats after it was all said and done but still enjoyed it and so are the people that are still getting full use out of them

Debbie,

I bought about 20 large cones the first time and a sampler box of 50 small cones the next, and I don't remember the name of the sampler, no individual color names. I have probably used maybe five cones in the box, never seem to have the right color, and a few of the colors like rasberry pink there are three that are not the same but so close as to not to make a difference. You would probably do better to order from the company and have the colors you really want. The large cones I have used the most, and now that I've figured out how to make them work I can finish using them. Thanks for the offer though.

Archived