CL or Hartley

livismom

Hi! I've learned so much from this site over the last year and finally got the courage to sign on and seek your expertise! I don't actually have my Millie yet, but my DH ensures me that this is my year.

I'm curious about the pros/cons of the Circle Lord vs. Hartley. I know I read a similar topic a while ago, but couldn't find it.

I appreciate any info you can share and appreciate your thoughts!

I have the CL and I really enjoy it. I find that the most frequently used tool for it is the cable template. I use it in the borders a lot. I have the starz (don't use much), hearts, crosshatch ( a must), the gingko which has endless possibilities, the curved crosshatch (not used yet). I didn't get the giant clam shell or the baptist fan. For me, it's a great tool to try to get things a little more perfect and even. Since I don't intend to get the comp quilter, it's a nice addition. It's VERY user friendly and the support from the CL people is fantastic!!

OK, so basically both tools can create the same designs (circles, crosshatching, etc.) if you buy the right attachments? They seem to be very close in price as well. Does anyone have both that can compare the ease of use? I am brand new to all of this, so the easier, the better!

Myrna - I live in North Jersey and have met a wonderful sales rep in Penn. I didn't think to ask what she uses, but I will!

A big thank you to all who share their thoughts!

Guest Linda S

No - you can create hundreds more designs with the Circle Lord and its templates. If you want to do just circles, crosshatching and some nice stencil designs, get the Hartley Fence. If you want Circles, Crosshatching, Ovals, Stars, Spirals, Baptist Fans, Rope Borders, etc., get the Circle Lord. The Circle Lord is more expensive, but it has so many design possibilities. As Myrna says, it's a personal choice. I've had both tools. I sold the Hartley Fence and kept my Circle Lord.

Linda

I'm another Circle Lord User. It allows you to make perfect designs. I am such a prefectionist and the Circle Lord allowed me to produce quilting that is pleasing to me with very little ppp. But as everyone says it's a personal choice. My choice is the circle lord. I have many many of the templates and find numerous uses for all of them.

Good luck with your choice.

If you want more detailed information on how I use my Circle Lord, just let me know - I can give you a call.

Thanks,

Linda Esenbock

Great, we have a wonderful rep in Penn, Sheri Queen Flemming.

You will find the tools you like best. We all do, LOL, and are fortunate to have so many choices.

With the HF you are able to make all the designs mentioned above except for spirals. Just in a different way. There are additional accessories to purchase for the HF as with the CL.

Keep us posted on your status from a wannabe to a newbie :)You will find so much information here on the chat. Welcome.

Myrna

I just received my HF for Christmas, I loaded a quilt on Saturday at my shop and had to leave immediately after because of the snow. Today I opened my shop and began to quilt using ONLY my HF and HF stencils and finished the quilt (76x96) in 6 hours. done! it turned out GREAT! This was my first time to use the HF on my own.

Tish~

get Myrna's book, it is so easy to follow and full of info that you can't mess up! Besides, she's pretty neat too!

Anyone who has the HF should definitely get Myrna's book. She does so much that it is an inspiration and you will want to get busy learning all that she has to show you in the book.

I have the HF and have used it and it worked well for my needs. I did not get into all that Myrna has done, but for those who want to use it to its fullest potential you really should get the book.

I do not use mine much anymore because I have a added a second milli with the cq. Yes, I am spoiled:) I admit it. I am hooked on my cq and so the poor hf has not gotten as much use. Still, for those who are not in the position to get a cq the HF can do oh so much! Check out Myrna's book and you will see what I mean.

Sheri Flemming

Hershey PA

APQS Sales Rep

queensquilting@comcast.net

717-533-1410

Archived