bobbin spring fell out

Hi Marsha,

When you insert the bobbin brake spring back into the case, the little "fingers" should actually point out toward you. If they don't, bend them up slightly or they aren't doing their job and stopping the bobbin. When you look at your bobbin case with the opening facing you and the lever away from you, the little fingers will point toward you.

Look at the bobbin case carefully. You'll see a very narrow slot on one side of the case on the outer round edge, and another narrow slot tucked just next to the flat tension "spring" or finger that you slip the thread under when loading the bobbin. Compare your bobbin brake spring and you'll see that it has protrusions on its edges that will match the location of those two narrow slots on the case (if you also match the "U" shape on the case to the spring). Those protrusions on the spring snap into the slots on the case. If they line up, you have it right! :)

I dropped my bobbin case too, with bobbin inside. Hours on with stitching and my stitch quality was..., well no quality. Really really awful. Didn't associate it at the time and checked all the regular potential offenders that could be making my stitch quality shocking. Finally, we decided to turf the old bobbin case and test a new one. Perfect stitches!!

Hopefully your stitch quality won't suffer from the dropped bobbin, but in case it does, remember the culprit could be the bobbin or bobbin case itself.:)

Looking down at the bobbin , the slot on the left side by the latch is larger than the slot on the right side by the tension finger. So the wider protrusion on the spring goes in the left slot and the narrower protrusion on the spring goes in the right slot. When I flipped it over like that, the circle part of the spring going around the middle post of the bobbin now has some bounce to it so I think I have it correct. It also doesn't fall out easily. Yes, my stitch quality is suffering but I am slowly getting there again. Thank you for all your input. Every bit of advice helps.

Archived