Help me!! I need some expert advice

Mary Beth, You know I'm no expert, but I would turn it sideways on the frame and quilt the length of each long strip with a vine and leaf, with a few freehand daisies and a loop and swirl thrown in here and there. Then I would definitely SID around those beautiful flying geese. A little vine or loop and swirl around the outer edge would finish it off. I should be fairly quick to quilt. I think it's really neat.

Myrna,

I've never tried the Baptist Fan. I have my HF, but haven't had your class yet :) I will load some muslin and give it a shot....

Teresa,

That was my initial thought too. Load it sideways and quilt the lenght. Then do the flying geese. But then I am stuck on the outer border.

Thank you ladies for the quick response. I like both ideas.

The leafy vine or loops and swirls that Teresa mentioned would be the exact answer to the outer border...keep it simple with it being so busy...anything fancy would be just lost. Good Luck....This quilt has beautiful colors, but way to busy...simple is all it needs.

I'm no where near expert level, but this really intrigued me.

I got a challenge .. nothing like this tho. All I could come up with was alternation the design blocks. Ill explain

Row 1 I made the blocks according to the strip size and left what would of been the floral large print as a empty square and did all over meandering stich in the busy/smaller flower motiffs

Row 2 I left the busy/smaller flower motiffs alone and put a simple amish flume design in the larger floral.. It came out ok, it still needed something. But I was hesistant cause it was so busy in the first place. When undecided I try to mimick the customers pattern and do some sample work on what i created as a just for sure first

and as always on the flying geese the ol stitch in the ditch works well. With the color scheme and the uniqueness was the quilt made for a specific room perhaps ?

I dunno If this helps, I hope it does , Very anxious to see what you come up with tho and have only warm thoughts and wishes for you. The ladies here seem quite creative and talented amd are sure to come up with something! Best of Luck

Mary Beth, I still feel so new I squeek so I am by no means an expert, but I just feel it is so busy you just want to complement what is already there. Please keep us posted. I think you should just go for it and give your Hartley a try with a BF. I think that would look pretty.

Okay, I have been reading my Hartly Fence "manual" that I recieved in a class at MQS about 2 years ago...I am lost. It says to start in the bottom right corner of the quilt - so didn't know if I should load upside down?? I think I better take Myrna's classes before I attempt this one. I really need to get this quitl done - seems I am always behind. I am looking at two pantos that I have that are coordinating both would fit into the long panels. Then I will work on the outer borders with something freehand and easy....we will see.

I am very anxious to learn to use this HF to it's potential...I know it can do wonderful things...I've seen Myrna's work.

Mary Beth,

I like Teresa's idea of the vine but honestly I don't think you would be able to see the quilting in this. Unlike Teresa, I do not think this quilt is neat.

If it was given to me to quilt, I would turn off the lights and go to bed. Okay, that was mean.

It has some beautiful colors and floral prints. I think that it just needs some order. I would use a repetitive design to settle it down; something like a zig-zag, waves, BF all the way across the body at least. Or a big cross-hatch (maybe 3? apart) as if you are looking through a lattice into a garden.

You have to post a photo of the finished quilt so we can all see what you did.

Hi Mary Beth,

I don't consider myself to be an expert, but as I see this quilt, it just needs to be held together. If it came to me, I would do something special in the flying geese and meander the rest of it and be done. It's not really what I would consider a custom worthy quilt. If you wanted to do some other allover, that would be fine too, just remember, not much will show.

Maybe I'm just grumpy, ha ha ;)

Romonia Dinkla,

Casey, IA

Hey Miss Romonia,

Did you get my u2u or email some time back?? It was in response to a message you sent me.

Thank you for your input on this top. I agree, not much will show so I should not get too detailesd. The good thing about this customer is that she drops them off and says do what ever you want. There has been some great ideas here and now I need to just jump on it and get going.

Janet,

Thanks, I didn't realize you all had her book. No, I have not been to MO-Kan in a while because of my hours at my real job. Email me with the price of the book and the postage, I think that would be the best way to get it to me. My email is rmatch06@kc.rr.com

Thank you Janet.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, my customer's quilt is finally complete. I was not able to use the HF as I had hoped so I just had to wing it. I have 2 pantos that came together - don't have the name in front of me now, one 6" the other 61/2" wide, so I alternated them on the panels. Then I did a little swirly thing in the flying geese, then a kind of clamshell on the half shell :) anyway, it is done. Thank you all for your input. I do have Myrna's HF Workbook now, so I can start to PPP....

Archived