Minkie top - what to quilt??

I am not sure what to quilt on baby blanket that I have. I believe that it is minkie fabric on top. The back is flannel. It is made out of 5 inch square blocks.

Customer suggested "X" throught the blocks. But the blocks don't line up. Some are 1/4 - 1/2 inch off. Do I fix it? My DH suggested that I do circles on it, over lapping where 4 meet. But now that I have it loaded I'm not sure how that will work with the squares not matching. Any suggestions as to what to quilt on top would be great. I am a newbie (only have machine less that 2 months) and still not confident in my abilities.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You have all given me great help in the past.

Thanks,

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting:D

Thanks for the help, I knew I could count on you all. She sent cotton batting that is lightweight. I thought about random circles and might give that a try. Need to get going as I have another one to get done. And I am out of extra leaders. I might think about the stars that might look cool. I did the loop de loops on her last quilt so I want her to know that I can do something else.

Thanks,

Angela:P

My 4 yr old little girl love the faces.;)

I have not quilted on Minkie as a top fabric yet but I did do some embroidery work for a lady on a baby quilt and the embroidery did not even show even though I had 3 layers of solvy on it so I ended up having to redoe the design on wide ribbon and attaching it. Does quilting show up better:

Well I got it done. I ended up doing random circles on it, like Jeanne suggested. You can tell that the circles are there but you can't really see the thread. Hope that she likes it. I like it. She said to do whatever.

Now I am not sure what to charge her since my normal policy it to charge by the square yard and her quilt is only 26 X 46 inches. Which is only about a square yard. I feel like I am giving it to then with the time that I spent. Any more advice for this very new newbie.

Thanks again for your wonderful help.

Angela

I believe that a lot of quilters have a base price that they charge and won't go under. You might check some of the links on some of the other quilters that post on this site to get an idea. Alot also charge by the square inch. Say you were charging 1.5 cents per square inch. That would make your quilting worth $17.94, but if your base price is $25.00 then you would charge that until you get a size that goes over that charge. I don't know if I'm making sense, but if I am, I hope that helps.

Thanks Mary Beth & Jeanne I was thinking along the same lines as both of you. I just wanted to get some feed back to see if that was right or not. Unfortunately it toook me way longer then it should have and I hate to under pay myself ever more OVER charge my customer.

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

Archived