Quilt Path

i am fascinated by computer systems, especially this computer system.

i like that it is made by apqs...i feel safe with the company.

i've been toying with spending the money and taking in customer quilts so i can have the machine running when i am piecing.

my question is this...

does it really allow for you to leave the machine and get something done or do you have to stay there and babysit while it stitches out?

and if you are doing block designs, can you allow the machine to make a pass on its own or do you have to reset with each block?

also, does itmake the head alot heavier? i doubt i would use the computer for my own work, so i would like to have the ease of movement i enjoy now.

and what is a 'no sew' zone?

i'm sure my ?'s are clear as mud, huh? :huh:

Meg,

The beauty of the computerized systems is that you can do other things at the same time, but (always the "but"), as was mentioned in another post - staying close is good. I have learned to listen to both my systems - when something goes wrong - the sound changes in both. Also, both systems will normally stop if something gord crazy, but don't count on it. I stay in the same room - run out for coffee, etc. but if I need more time, I will put the systems on pause - push of a button - and then resume when I get back.

If you are doing an E2E - let the machine do it's work. Most people stitch each row from left to right but I have found that with both of my systems, when doing E2E, I split each row in the middle and then stitch the first half of the row from center to left and the 2nd part of the row from center to right. A tad bit more work but have found drift, draw-up, etc is almost nil when I do it this way. When doing borders, blocks, etc. I "mark" on the quilt and realign for each new area. As you work through the quilt, things change due to draw-up caused specifically by the quilting. When you free-motion a quilt, your eyes adjust for these slight changes and you automatically adjust your quilting. Unfortunately, the computer does not pick up on these changes and will only quilt what you tell it to quilt - therefore you have to "mark" (program in) the changes as you go along. The different systems handle this a bit differently but all do this process quickly and easily. The "marking" will keep you at the machine more and sometimes you will feel that you can't do anything else but watch the machine stitch for the little amount of time per block and then it is time to "mark" the next block. Other times, the quilting will take a longer period of time between "marking" and you will be able to piece or whatever for a bit. There are also the the situations where you want the system to take your designs clear to the edge of the area you are quilting and you will have to be at the machine and do a bit of hand manipulation (easy to do) to help the computer driven head hit it's mark.

Since IQ is a motor driven system, once the motors are released from the rails (push of a button), the head will become totally free moving and the added weight is minimal. If you find it too much, you can do all or most of your IQ work and then shut it down and remove the IQ from the head & return it when you need it again. A simple process but takes a little more time. I don't know anyone out there who has found the added weight of the head a problem. Most systems are cable/belt driven. Going between free-motion and computer work means the cables/belts have to be disconnected. On my Innova, it is a bit of a pain but easy and only takes a few moments. I guess some systems with cables/belts have come up with a better way to go between free-motion and computer driven. Once my belts are disconnected, my head is exactly as if I had no computer - my computer is off to the side with nothing on the head.

I bet if you did get a computer, you would use it on your work too (LOL) - most of us have learned that our work becomes a mixture of both free-motion and computer work. As an example of mixing for my last 3 quilts: 1. all computer - one design in the body of the quilt and a different design in the borders & nothing in the sashing. 2. computer designs in the body and border of the quilt & free motion in the sashings. 3. computer only for the border and everything else free-motion. Computer systems allow us to do more intricate work without the headaches but many things are quicker and easier when done free-motion.

I would recommend that you look at and try out a couple of systems to see how they feel to you. You might also chat with Barb Mayfield since she already has the APQS system. I am sure she would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I love my computer systems and also love to quilt - I am lucky to have the best of both.

• 3 weeks later...

I am bummed, the Quilt Path won't work with my machine. I have an Utl 1 :( . I was looking forward to gettng it. I guess I have to save more and get IQ.

Lynn Marie, the IQ will work on your U1. There is a new smaller more affordable IQ called BasiQ. You can see the information here - http://www.katydids.net/IntelliQuilter.htm.

You can get it in a panto only version for $7950.00 or the custom quilting version for $9450.00.

Archived