How to use laser on front?

waterlilygardening

Complete newbie to the laser light use! I got a laser light & trying to use it on the front of my ULT XX. I lined up the design I wanted stitched, pinned it to the quilt to the side, followed the design, & ... the design stitched out is distorted. I'm guessing because the fabric where the design was pinned down was moving up & down because of the machine moving the fabric up/down as I stitched beside the pattern. I've never seen anyone use a laser from the front, so if anyone could please let me know how to do this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

distorted.jpg

Hi Kat--

In order to use the laser from the front, the design can be stabilized by taping it to a board that spans the rollers. That will solve the vibration/distortion problem. You can purchase a wooden table especially made to fit your set-up, or make one yourself. I use a masonite board with small blocks attached at the ends of the underside and it is very stable. Good luck and happy stitching!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

To use the laser you must use a solid surface. My hubby took 2 pieces of 1/4 x 1 aluminium strap and bent it at both ends to fit over the bars. We then took a piece of plexiglass and attached it to the strap with double sided sticky tape at about a 15 " span. The 'table' works great and I can tape my pattern so it won't move.

Kat,

I have a PatternPort which holds a pattern on the front of the machine for front laser work. It just rides the 2 rollers. I have not used it yet so cannot attest to its value. But my friend has a similar tool that her DH made out of 2 curtain rods (u-shaped) and a plastic tray. Sams principle. I got mine at:

http://www.patternman.com

Here is what it looks like:

patternport.jpg

Archived