Mettler Thread

My Lenni is two quilts old -- both done with Fil-tec cone thread. As a newbie to LA quilting, I have lots of non-cone thread that I'd like to use up. And, I have to mail order cones, which means waiting, so I tried using a small spool of Mettler tonight and it didn't work.

I had intermittent loops on the back. I had loosened the upper tension for the larger cotton thread, and I put the thread spool on the vertical pin at the rear of the machine.

I have the horizontal spool pins, but I haven't installed it yet.

Any advice on small spools? Does a cross-wound thread like Mettler work on the horizontal spool pin? Any ideas on how to get it to work on the vertical one? (that makes the most sense to me, since it is cross wound...)

Thanks...

It is my understanding that in order to use small spools, whether or not they are cross-wound, you need to place them on the horizontal spool pin. Small cones work fine on the vertical pin. The thread feeds off cones differently than off spools. Your thread is likely hanging up on the top of the spool or is not feeding with even tension like it would if it came off a cone with nothing to obstruct the way it feeds. I'd install the horizontal pin and try it to see if it makes a difference or if the problem is just poorly adjusted tension.

The thread is probably catching on the thread holder as it is unwinding off the spool. Install the horizontal spool holder and that should go better. Another thing you can do is to put a space holder on the thread holder to lift the spool up higher. Also put a wad of batting in the thread guide arm that comes off the thread holder to control that thread.

Archived