Removing quilt top bar

Maybe someone will remember this topic about removing quilt top bar if you float tops. I was thinking about doing this being I don't use it and it would be easier not to hold your arms over it when quilting. Here's my dilemma what would I attach my brake to? If anyone can remember the post of someone doing this I would appreciate it. What's the opinion on doing this good or bad idea? I got my hydraulic lifts on thanks to DH and you guys are right they are awesome.

Thank you Libby and Sue for your help. I didn't think about the front CL. I don't use the front CL very much and now the lift is on the top quilt bar makes me hold my arms up too high if I get the quilt at a comfortable level to quilt if that makes sense. I'm going to order it and if I don't like it I quess I can always put it back together.

Nancy I have taken my quilt top bar off then put it back on so I could use the upfront Circle Lord. I find it very handy for me to line up the edges of the quilt top, hold up the side clamps with the curtain rods, i even have a set of clamps hanging off it that I clamp to the batting and make a sling for the quilt top to keep it all of the floor. I even rest my arms on it when sitting on my chair for close up work.

I raise my table with the hydraulics during a quilt so I am constantly changing the bend of my back.

Having used the machine with it off I now find more benefits to leaving it on.

Thank you Libby and Sue for your help. I didn't think about the front CL. I don't use the front CL very much and now the lift is on the top quilt bar makes me hold my arms up too high if I get the quilt at a comfortable level to quilt if that makes sense. I'm going to order it and if I don't like it I quess I can always put it back together.

Hi Nancy. I think the added height caused by the legs of the hydraulic lifts is a problem. You should be able to lower the frame so you aren't stretched over the top roller. Can you quilt close to the leveler roller? Maybe someone with the same lift system can give some input as to how low the table can go. If the frame is always too high that would cancel any benefit of the lifts. Just a thought.

I think because I'm so tall I tend to lift it too high so I could lower it alittle bit. It may just take a little time of getting use to it but I love it. Wish I had the lift on when I did micro meandor on the last over queen quilt. I could hardly walk right for a week. I'm now rethinking this and might just leave it on because I have a king coming next week and probably will load it on the quilt top bar. Thank you for all the pros and cons.

Archived