If you charge $25 per shirt then...

I've just started doing these. For me, $25 per shirt means the customer brings me a stack of freshly washed T-shirts and I hand back a completed quilt -- ready to go on the bed.

So I'm providing stabalizer, batting, backing, and all fabric for sashings and binding, as well as all thread and quilting.

Okay thanks for the input I have been think about this and was going to do $25.00 per shirt and they buy the backing, fabric for sashing, binding and what ever batting they wanted. What I have read here and seen other places the cost is about 400 for quilt with 12 shirts I am guessing. I don't know for sure what the average is but don't want to over price or under price. Just looking for opnions.

I would add, that I do ask for a deposit of half when they bring me their t-shirts. This way I am prepared for purchasing the fabrics & stabalizer. Thread and batting I usually have on hand.

So far, I'm purchasing fabric at retail, but I do wait for a sale if I can, or use a coupon. I suppose there's no rule against using something from my stash as well, if it is exactly what I need.

I make anywhere from 6-12 of these a year in between my main business of long arming. I charge $5 per shirt to construct plus the cost of the interfacing, fabrics, batting and backing. I charge my long arm rate to quilt it as the customer wants and my rate for binding. I get most of my materials at wholesale except for fabrics used for borders. (I am a ongoing Hancock's of Paducah customer for this). Anything the customer wants extra such as pictures included, hanging sleeve is also extra.

I am comfortable with this method because I cover what I need to cover and make some profit. If however, I was doing these quilts soley as my business I would have to charge more (my long arming is my main business). I really enjoy working with people to help them create a one of a kind memory for someone.

Archived