Applique top

Has anyone spritzed a preprinted and appliqued block with water and had the blue preprint run. I mismarked and put a little water on a qtip and got a surprise. I used air erase pen but needed to erase a couple of marks. Ended up with a blue blob. Spritzed the whole block really wet and blotted with a white bath towel repeatedly and got it out I hope. We will see when the block dries. It is a customer quilt so I will have to tell her to soak it in cold water until it is gonenafter she binds it. They were done by her mother so I'm not sure she knows.

Anyone else come across this. Am I handling it correctly.

Shirley

From what you have shared, the blue that spread was from the marks on the base fabric that were there when you received the top--not the purple air-erasable that you used? And it's not dye transfer, just water-erase pen? If that's the case, as you stated, your customer will need to soak the whole thing when she takes it home anyway. And you went above-and-beyond to soak the block, although it makes for a nicer presentation without the blue smears and makes for a happier customer on pick up.

I assume the marks were hers--done as registration marks for her applique placement? If so, be sure to give her blue pen removal instruction as a courtesy when she picks up and let her know you "removed" a mark or two yourself in the quilting process. :P

These pre-printed blue marks are intended to be washed out after the project is completed.  If not soaked, they will just migrate somewhere else on the top, or backing.   Its nice that they actually are coming out, because some of these pieces...the marks are there permanently, even though they are supposed to wash out.  Yes, just tell the customer to soak the blue marks out after she binds the quilt.  Hopefully, she has tested for colorfast with her applique fabrics.  You didn't do anything wrong here.

I always include a "special instructions" sheet with the quilts I return, stating what products were used on their quilt..starch, marker, air erasable, spray baste....whatever....and suggest they soak these products out.  When she picks it up, just tell her what happened and that she is going to need to deal with the ink used to pre-print the base fabric. It is recommended to soak in cold water for 30 minutes.

I should have said hand embroidered not appliqued. I was panicing. I figured I would finish it today and call her. She was going to take it with her to her sons tomorrow and bind it there. Haven't looked at it yet today but hopefully it will look better today. The border she put around the embroidery seemed to run so she definately need to use Colorado catchers. She is a new client and has four more of these. So hopefully we can get it all figured out on this one without issues. I will attempt to post a picture when done it is really cute.

Shirley

Archived