Can we talk thread?

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, so sorry for bringing it up again. I have an Ult II and have tried a few different threads. It seems to like the cotton/poly the best. Is it ok to use as a quilting thread? Or should I try and get a 100% cotton thread to work. Also, what thread weight do you suggest? Thank you for all your help

Penny,

When I first started with my Ultimate II, the only thread I could get to work was the Maxi-lock. Over time, as I became more comfortable with adjusting "things" on the machine, I tried other threads, and now use primarily Aurifil or Signature - cotton or cotton wrapped poly. I hear your pain, just remember this is a learning curve, you getting used to the machine, and it getting used to you (I swear they have a personality and I had to learn to listen to it!).

Stephanie

Guest Linda S

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using any kind of thread your little heart desires. The need to use cotton when quilting is an old wive's tale. I have a thread obsession and use any and all kinds. The best thing is, my Liberty will handle anything I give her. Eowyn is such a good girl! :D Check out this url: http://www.superiorthreads.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=7&id=67&Itemid=100

It will tell you just about everthing you need to know about thread.

Linda

Just a little tiny note here: I have been reading a book on machine quilting, Machine Quilting Made Easy!, by Maurine Noble, who took a lot of her ideas from Harriet Hargrave, who is considered "'The Godmother' of machine quilting". Maureen says, "Polyester thread is stronger than the cotton fabric in the quilt, and may in time cause the fabric to weaken and wear around the quilting line." (pg. 5). This may, indeed, be an "old wives' tale", but I thought it merited mention here.

Good luck with your threads, Penny, and I like your business name. :)

Ditto: Linda S.

Choose any thread that best enhances the quilt! I preach to the "Polyphobics" at guild every month. "Get over it!" My favorite poly thread right now is Superior's Poly Quilter which looks and feels like a heavy cotton. Now why would I use a cotton thread instead if this is the one for the quilt? It's twice as strong and half the price.

So Fine! is another excellent poly machine quilting thread. And I laughed when I learned from our best traditional quilter, appliquer, (third generation quilter, wins all the awards) that she uses Duel Duty to piece and applique.

If you find great quality threads, and you hear other successful machine quilters are using it, then it'll work for you too. Jamie Wallen has his favorites, he likes the shine of Isacord embroidery thread for his decorative quilting and everything Superior makes. Others prefer to use Rheingold or Aurifil. Try them all. See what style of quilting you gravitate towards, the customer base you develop over time and you'll find what works best for you. And, ALWAYS, have fun!

Thread 'em up, let's go!

I am so GLAD that I'm not the only one that has been poop pooing 100% cotton all the time.

Penny, I use whatever I can get to run in my machine (ULT II) and it loves the Poly/Cott just as much as it loves the Rainbows and 100% cottons. It loves Maxilock and the varigated Maxi's as well....If it sews we use it...:P

I as those above me, use whatever matches the quilt the best. Patch, mentioned the Harriett Hargrave book, and yes she still tells everyone that 100% cotton fabrics demand 100% cotton thread for the strength and durability. My thought on this is: How many of our quilts, in total reality are going to be here 75 years from now? I make quilts for people to use and I want them to be worn out and replaced with another one. I get hurt when someone puts a quilt into a box and never uses it....Those are the quilts that need to be sewn with 100% cotton in my opinion so they can wrought equally together.

The only down fall that I have seen in using some of the Poly/Cottons or the cheaper Coats and Clark Threads is lint...we deal with that with each bobbin change and go on...

But this is just my 2 cents worth as well.

Theory Debunked

I love Harriet Hargrave and I've also read her statement about using poly thread in a cotton quilt. I think that was written quite some time ago and I believe her "theory" that poly thread in any way deteriorates the quilt top has been dismissed in the new millennium. It hasn't come to light that this combination has had any ill effects on our quilts over the last decades that we've used this combination of thread and fabric in our quilt construction, any more than using cotton thread in a poly fabric quilt had the reverse effect. Good LORD! Remember those? :P

Many long time quilters, circa 1970's and before, just have a thing about the idea of using polyester anything to make a quilt. The same way that many still feel about machine quilting not being a bono-fide way to make a quilt. Well, times have shown that a quilt can be anything you want it to be. Take a look at Quilt National for example. http://www.quiltnational.com/ And if you still need convincing, go back to issue #3-2006 of the $100,000 Quilting Challenge Magazine and read all about Linda McCuean's techniques for creating her winning quilt, polyester thread and all!

So lighten up, and have a ton of fun!

Guest Linda S

I think Harriet is a very talented woman, but most longarmers can tell you that she has been very anti-longarm machine quilting for years. She may be starting to turn the corner, but she has been known to be a big perpetuator of the old wives' tale.

Linda

Archived