Lame panto question

I don't really use pantographs, and this one is not one I have used before but was given to me.  

My lame question is this: do I use the straight green lines to mark the high and low point for advancing?  I'm thinking I must, but it just seems to leave a lot of empty space.  Maybe that's just me being used to quilting the snot out of stuf freehand.  The swirls are also too big to nest in that area--I measured to make certain.

Thanks for your thoughts.

post-5786-0-10642400-1362016515_thumb.jpg

I would use green line to green line.  I am thinking that the swirls nest in these open areas as you quilt the next row.  However, I would test this first just to make sure.  Also mark where you put your needle in for advancement and where you want to stop.  That way you will have the same advance spacing each time your roll your quilt.

:blink: opps.. just re-read your post... you say the swirls will not nest in the open area.  Perhaps this is a border only design then?    Maybe you can 'write' something into those vacant areas.  Most all over panto's nest together so you don't have those open places.

Mandy.. I have not seen a panto quite like this. but....

Put your needle down at the high point of the design after quilting...then advance the quilt slowly so the laser lines up with the bottom green line. Know though, that the first pass will leave an unquilted area that you will have to fill in, unless you start it in such a way that only half the panto width fits on the quilt's edge.

This design looks like it will interlock.

Clear as mud? if you want to call me, feel free. I sent you a message. Hopefully, I can help further?

I used the green lines, and am attaching a picture that I hope will be clear enough to show how much space there is in between the two rows.  This makes me wonder if I need to mark the top and bottom of the swirls and use those instead of the green lines when I advance.

post-5786-0-87134100-1362019043_thumb.jpg

Archived