a couple of questions about flannel for backing

A friend is putting together a batik top and planned to use a flannel sheet for backing. The batiks in top have been washed. I'm wondering if flannel sheet is the same as using flannel fabric or to steer clear. Also, if it is ok to use, should it be washed more than once. I'm concerned about shrinkage in respect to the top. One more question, I'm wondering if a flannel sheet will shrink differently or about the same as flannel fabric made for quilting. Thanks in advance, K

not sure on the shrinkage, but...if you use a sheet as backing, make sure to have the hems removed and square it up before putting it on the frame. here is how i do it. i snip the fabric and then tear the fabric along the grain. then repeat for the other direction. works for cotton sheets and cotton/poly. 

it really depends on the weave i have found.  make sure it's not too loose and you should be fine.  i didn't bother to wash as i hasn't washed the top fabrics and when i washed it it was fine.   but it  was a good quality sheet 100% cotton.

Yes, wash and dry the flannel sheet a couple of times. Wash it before you trim it since the shrinkage is erratic and you want to be sure there is enough yardage after washing. If it shrinks below your needs it can still be used on a bed! ;)  Flannel shrinks like crazy and the treatment will eliminate some of the lint as well. I hope it good-quality flannel without a loose weave. 

Does your customer want flannel for the cuddle factor? If that's the case, you can steer her towards an appropriate batting for warmth and maybe a regular cotton backer. Just a thought.

I used a flannel sheet from LL Bean for a backer.  Yes, I washed & dried it in hot water, hot dryer first.  It was a good quality sheet and it was wonderful.  I'm not sure how a Target quality sheet would compare; haven't tried one.

BTW, I also use fleece blankets as backers for bed quilts because there is no need to piece the yardage.  My daughter likes the kid's winter quilts made with fleece on the back as it is soft, they like it, and it helps keep the quilt on their bed, instead of sliding off, especially if using a flannel top sheet.

Archived