Help with GFG?

I am about to get started on my first Grandmother's Flower Garden.  It is pieced very well and I don't think I'll have too much trouble with it, but still would like to hear of any helpful tips.  I plan to SID around the hexies, and then do a swirly pattern in each hexie that I saw on one of Dell's posts (thanks!)  I am also doing the binding and I can't find any information on how to do this.  Do I have to miter each of the 100's of corners or will a bias cut binding go around them okay without mitering?  Thanks in advance!!

Carol

I had always thought that if I ever did a GFG...I'd do cc's in the hexies, but I guess its depends on their size.  The small ones give me hot flashes to even think about them!

Re:  binding.  You need to do a bias binding.  You don't miter the inner corners like you would to do a regular outer corner.  You clip into the edge of the quilt, just to almost the seam line, pull your quilt edge out so it is straight in that area and sew your binding on.  That will cause a little pleat in the outer edge when you sew it down to the back, which you will have to tuck in, like a dart..and slip stitch down like you do to close the corners on regular binding.  Its a job, but the binding will not lay right if you don't do this.  Do a search for binding a scalloped quilt edge and there are some tutorials on line that are pretty good.

I am about to get started on my first Grandmother's Flower Garden.  It is pieced very well and I don't think I'll have too much trouble with it, but still would like to hear of any helpful tips.  I plan to SID around the hexies, and then do a swirly pattern in each hexie that I saw on one of Dell's posts (thanks!)  I am also doing the binding and I can't find any information on how to do this.  Do I have to miter each of the 100's of corners or will a bias cut binding go around them okay without mitering?  Thanks in advance!!

Carol

Gld my quilting is helping you. 

I don't bind my GFG. Instead I add a tiny piping and face the quilt. If you are interested in this let me know and I'll be glad to help you!

Archived