how to avoid pleats in backing

Need some sound advice.  I've recently starting doing some heavy custom quilting.  By that I mean every inch of the block is quilted.  On 2 of the quilts I developed a fold or crease in the backing. 

How can I prevent this in the future and any suggestions for how to fix it while quilting? 

Thanks, Missy

Missy,

Are you leaving places unquilted and coming back to them? If so, I always pin any area I am not quilting with very fine flower head pins. I pin pretty heavy. I stabilize as I go down the quilt. I do my SID first and then do my fill work. I pin in anything that I will not be quilting in that pass before forwarding the quilt.

Did the pleat get sewn in or is it just extra fabric? How visible is it?

Pleats can be such a pain and I'll bet they happen to all of us at some time or another.  I find they happen most to me when I quilt, roll and then go back so now I pin the snot out of those areas.  Another way I can work in a pleat is if I'm holding down my ruler too tight.  Sometimes the fabric just stretches.  I try to be very careful when I roll forward and pull out the sides really well.  Always double check.  I also don't like to have my quilts too loose.  I know lots of people that quilt with their sandwich really loose but I always end up with problems.

The quilt was all applique with a large medallion in the middle.  I always stitch in the ditch and secure all straight rows and also each individual block.  On this quilt the fold of extra fabric ended up in the very first border I quilted!  Did I check 1st, no.  I've since put a post it note on the front of my machine reminding me to check the underside before I start quilting. 

Anyway, the border consisted of a long swag of vines, leaves and flowers and a center motif.  I stitched around each before I started on the denser quilting.  I did a long feather that went above the applique to the stitch in the ditch area and I then went back and did straight line stitching from the applique to the outside edge. 

I had a major problem with the center medallion.  The material seemed to be sagging in the middle.  I took the quilt off and double checked the back was square tore out the stabilizing I had done and pin based the tar out of the center.  No more problems. 

I do like my quilts fairly snug and not loosey goosey on the rails. 

The backing was a batik and although they have no give length wise our width wise they have a lot of stretch on the diagonal.  

I try to make sure my top is looser than the back.  I mean I advance the quilt and then loosen the quilt top roller about an eighth to a quarter turn.  At a class I was at Renae Haddadin also suggested we reach under the backing and use your fingertips to smooth the backing from the center to the sides after you advance.

Nigel

Archived