Bur on hook?

Hi Everyone,

So, today I put in a size 4.0 needle because I was going to try out King Tut thread.  When I tried to draw the bobbin up using the needle up/down button, the needle got stuck in the down position.  Of course, I had to go ahead and try it one more time, because this time it won't get stuck.  ahem.  yup, got stuck again.  So, I changed back to a 3.5 and it seemed to be ok.  Tension issues using Glide and magna-glide delites are now apparent when there weren't before and I had thread breakage. From the maintenance class I took at MQX, the thread breakage suggests a bur on the hook.  Upon inspection, the hook does not feel smooth all along the edge, and between 4 and 5 o'clock, there is a rough part.  Looking at my manual, I think I take 400 grit sandpaper to this area and sand it smooth right?  The ding in the metal looks pretty deep.  will sanding be enough?  When do I need to replace it (shaking in my shoes here... hoping that the sanding does the trick)?  I've attached some pics, but not sure they show it very well.  The first pic it is at 4-5:00 and the second pic it's at about 9:00 as I moved it and took from a different angle.  I think that is the better one to see it.  Thanks once again for your help.  Now to run out to the hardware store to get some sand paper.  Melissa (the needy....)

post-6040-0-31637400-1369071564_thumb.jpg

post-6040-0-77370400-1369071592_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, that's quite a burr....I'd sand it until you can run your fingernail over it and you don't feel any nicks...there is one area that you can't sand on the hook, I forget which part it is..I think it is the part where there are two pointy parts..aren't I so good at remembering parts names?)  I'd check in your manual to be sure you don't sand that one area.  Then clean it really well so you get all of the small sanded particles out and oil and try again...

Ouch, that looks painful! I'm totally useless here, as I've never had to do any serious maintenance on mine. I just wanted to offer some moral support and encouragement! I'm sure the rest of the experts will be along shortly to offer all sorts of wonderful advice. Like Vicki says, check your manual, then go for it. Good luck!

Thanks Vicki.  you are right, there is a spot you can't sand and it is at one of the pointy ends.  It is colored red in the manual.  I've got the sand paper and am about to dig in.  sigh, so much for my "day of sewing" LOL.

Thanks Sharon.  I will take all the moral support and encouragement I can get LOL.  Thanks so much, Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Looks like you understand what needs to happen. :) After you get rid of that nasty ding, then it's time to re-check your timing. You should be able to go from a 3.5 to a 4.0 without the needle getting stuck (the only time that ever really happens is if a person happens to inadvertently insert the needle backwards, with the hump facing the back of the machine.

Check out the timing video and just verify that all of your settings (needle depth, hook rotation, hook clearance, and hook retaining finger depth) match what you see in the video. Let us know if you need help!

EEEE.....(closes eyes really really tightly...puts fingers in ears... starts humming lalalalalalalalalalalalala)....  I'm afraid of that super scary T word...timing.... lalalala.... avoidance ...  LOL.  I suppose it was bound to happen at some point.  sigh.  now, where are those big girl panties.........  

In all seriousness,  I will check out the video.  I got the bur sanded, and the bobbin area WD-40ied and oiled.  when I ran the machine to distribute the oil with no bobbin case in, I could hear the needle doing a little tic tic tic sound.  Is that supposed to happen or is that bad?  I won't have a chunk of time (haha, no pun intended) until next weekend to work on it.  Thanks for your help!  I do appreciate it.

Melissa

A very light tic tic tic is normal.  Since you are in there now would be a good time to look at the hook and needle relationship.  Rotate the flywheel by hand and you should see how the tip of the hook just touches the back of the needle as it passes by the lower half of the scarf.  Compare what you see to the timing video and if all is well you know what it should look like when the time comes that you have to retime your machine.

Most of us don't get to see that until after we jam a rag in the hook and mess up the timing. 

Nigel

How did it go Melissa?  Nigel is right, a little tic ticing sound is normal...have you tried to sew and how are the stitches?  If all looks good you may not have to retime...but if you do, it really is not hard...just follow the video and instructions and you will do fine.  That is one of the things I love about this machine, it really is easy to work on when you need to...:)

hoo boy Nigel.... gives a whole new meaning to rag time LOL.  I'm glad the tic tic is normal.  whew, something went right today.

Hi Vicki, I just watched the video and after a few more times through, it might get less scary haha.  I haven't done anything to the machine except sand down the bur and clean and oil it (LOL, I was proud of myself just for that little part. small victories).  I did do some stitching with it even before I read about the re-timing and it seems to be stitching ok.  I will probably take the needle plate off and give it a look-see tomorrow night and see that the tip of the hook touches as Nigel suggested and see how things compare to the video.  Whew, the whole thing is still so scary, but Amy makes it look very achievable. Thanks so much everyone for your help.  I'll let you know what happens (and scream really loud if I get in trouble...).   :)

Congratulations Melissa of getting the sanding all done. You are right, the first time we do something with our machines it can be so scary but one of the beauties of our machines is that they are so easy to take care of and we have such great videos to watch and help a phone call or post away.  Hope all is well now.

Thanks Sharon and Bekah.  Finally have time to go in and look at the timing.  I think it is sewing alright, but figured I'd check it all out and compare it to the video.  Thank goodness for this forum, the great videos and the awesome customer support!  

Archived