Help! What to do with batting?

I have 2 little helpers/destroyers that are called MinPin's. These little varmints if not watched love to shread the batting hanging down from a quilt. I know that when I walk away from my machine I could flip it up on top. The problem with that is that we have our business at our home (selling sheds, furniture, quilt shop, etc.), so when I stop to tend to a customer I don't always put the batting up. I use every second available to quilt and that wastes time. Any suggestions on what can be done with the batting so it isn't hanging for shredding pleasure.

I like to be able reach under the batting and change a bobbin or see the condition of the backing material....so my husband came up with the idea of using small spring clamps. I fan fold up the batting so that it is easy to release just a small portion at a time.

I use 4 small clamps across the batting. They are not heavy, since they are plastic, so it does not weigh heavily on the batting as it is hanging just off the edge in front of the backing take up roller.

I have a length of PVC pipe that I roll my batting on. I drilled a hole in each end of the pipe, put a swivel hook in the hole, then with a couple short bungee cords hook onto the swivel hook and the other end on the base of the top roller. The pipe is not real strong and tends to bow a bit, so one of these days I will try to find something straighter to replace it with, but haven't bothered so far. It works fine as is, and looks a lot neater than having the batting hanging. I also have pups who would love to play tug of war with any batting hanging there!

This reminded me of a tip I saw on Fons & Porter a while back. You know those foam "noodles" for the pool? Well, you can joi a couple together to make it long enogh for the width of your batting, and wrap the batting around that. For stability, you could slip a dowel through it (they are hollow). I think I might try that too!

I have a minpin too. She is just trouble! Of course I love her dearly. The other three lazy dogs can't understand why she doesn't just take a nap like they do. I can't imagine having 2 minpins. They are so busy. I keep all the animals out of the studio. It's enough just having my two boys in there!

My minpin is red. What do you have?

I understand the concept of 'dog problems' so this has NO bearing on the actual question: It's been cold in the north, and the batting hanging down right in front of the legs helps keep us warm, lol. Would hate to have it rolled. Now summer is another matter. Thanks for the good noodle idea.

You could try going to a store that sells carpeting and linoleum and ask them for one of the cardboard tubes that the linoleum is rolled on and then suspend it with the bungee cords or rig a bracket at each end that the tube can hang in. If the tube is not long enough get two of them and fit them over a long wooden dowell.

Archived