tension troubles

I know its been addressed a thousand times, at least; but here goes:

I'm still playing with Lenni, learning about which speeds, threads, etc to pair up.

this is Tut on top and bottom line prewound on bottom.  Both fabrics are good quality cottons. Tension on fabrics is not real tight, but not saggy either. Batting is warm and white, not the real thin one, but about 1/4 " thick. Thread net on thread, AC on in the house, no lint anywhere in bobbin case or tension spring. Haven't tried sewers aid or the freezer trick yet.

I tried tightening top tension, then bobbin thread came up really bad. This is as close as I can get and you can still see dots of red (purposefully used mismatched bobbin) and a few loops in the Tut.

Any suggestions.   SR on and SR off, same issue.

post-1022-0-31767000-1371507471_thumb.jpg

I haven't yet tried King Tut in my Lucey....I used to run Tut in my old set up without problems...but....I used the same weight in the bobbin...sometimes king tut and sometimes a cotton of another brand......my guess would be to tighten up the bobbin a bit as the king tut is still looping on the top and you are seeing bobbin thread coming up to the top...or try a thicker thread in the bobbin?...I know I have read that some folks have problems with King Tut and others do just fine....I be watching for suggestions here as I really do have a collection of Tut and want to be able to use it in my Lucey.....Lin

How did you add sewers aid?

And how are you keeping track of your settings? I'm just working through this as a novice on a new millie and would love to know how others 'take notes' of their science projects ;-). Do you keep a separate notebook, or perhaps write something on the sample pieces and store those away?

I just make a note which bobbin case to use and how tight to make the tension.

For example with the King Tut- new bobbin case- bobbin so it will not creep down like a spider, then tighten top tension.

Sewers aid comes in these little bottles. I just squirt some into the nozzle part then go from top to bottom down the sides of the thread cone in three or four places.

For this highlights on the top and bobbin I had to thread the three hole thing through 2 holes in a straight line, loosen the bobbin to the spider stage and adjust the top tension. I also had to take off the thread net.

It's a learning process and each machine seems to be different.

I have a white dot on my tension dial, i then make note of where the white dot is for each different type of thread so I have a starting point.

I run all threads with a similar tension in the bobbin, I am using the Towa to test that.

King Tut does need to be tighter than you think, ie it is curling when you pull it through the needle I also down, up and down it through the 3 hole guide above the tension unit, not the wrap I do for other threads.( I do this for all cotton threads).

Archived