Wonky stitches, plus SR issue

Help!! I finally have time to work on this quilt and having some ugly stitch problems!

I feel like I have seen this problem before but can't find it. My stitches are very uneven and crooked when going up (towards the back) and less so to the left. Thread is Fil-tec Harmony 40wt/3ply cotton variegated, bobbin is Filtec magna-glide. I have attached a picture.....

Tension was off(bobbin was showing on top) sporadically, but changing from flat weave to spiral weave in the tension 3 hole guide seemed to help

Also I feel like my SR is not working that well, doing cc's and the stitches are small on the ends, getting large in the middle, this may be my technique or the batik fabric. And when I stitch on my practice piece (kona cotton) there does not seem to be much difference between 7 and 11 spi.

Any help much appreciated!!

post-3245-0-32150700-1373828951_thumb.jpg

Cathy to check if there is a problem with the Stitch length, on a large scrap sandwich stitch a 5" square and finish it off by stitching the diagonals too starting 1/2" inside the outer square. Write on the fabric which direction you did each line too. Mark off inch spaces on the lines and count the stitches between them.  This will also give you a good sample to check the direction of the "off" stitches, plus tell whether your SR  is being problematic.

Wonky stitches that thread seems a lot thicker at that point,  or is it the colour of the thread?

Cathy,

Do you have a larger needle you can use? Harmony is a thicker thread and it's pulling your needle slightly out of alignment with the hook. Here are more things to try when you get those "walking stitches":

1. Check the hopping foot height. Make sure you can only slide a business card underneath when you lower the needle by hand to its lowest point (off any fabric.) Make sure the foot height feels consistent by sliding the card under from different angles. If the foot is a little crooked (this can happen over time from using rulers or hitting bulky seams) then it isn't compressing the fabric evenly when you move backward. (It's like doing the "moon walk" :))

2. Turn the needle slightly to the left to improve the stitch appearance with the heavy thread.

3. As for your stitch regulator, the thread should not make any difference to it. Try a different type of thread on your practice piece and check the stitch length. Also, make sure your Quilt Glide is off (if you have it). It's really only helpful with tiny background quilting, and can cause your stitches to change length as you move slowly (and it engages) and then you move quickly (and it disengages.)

Meg, that does sound scary, although I am sure I am not strong enough to break it.LOL. Dawn, should I call Amy tomorrow, or do you have some instructions you can send me?

The needle change to 4.5 helped, but stitches are still too wonky to continue, seems worse when i am stitching patchwork. But thebigger needle definitely helped with the stitch length. I am still going to do the 5" square test, thought, thanks Lyn for that tip.

Cathy,

Go ahead and use a screwdriver to push the front of the foot down. Remove the needle (and you may want to swing the needle plate out of the way a bit to give you clearance). Then insert a screwdriver into the foot ring, with the tip toward the back of the foot and the handle toward the front. Press down a bit on the handle to bend the front of the foot down slightly. Try not to use too much force, just take your time and check it after you've made your first attempt.

Turn that needle slightly, too. :)

I have finally gotten a chance to get back to my machine. I used the screwdriver to level out my hopping foot and the wonky stitches are gone.

I am still having SR problems I think. With the stitch length set to 7, I am getting 9-11 stitches per inch. It looks like the diagonal stitches are very inconsistent. I need to do this with different fabric though so the stitches all show up. This weekend I will get to it.

Thanks for the help, Lyn, Meg, and Dawn!! I will post a picture when I have a good 5" sample.

Okay, I finally got the sample square done to check stitch length. At 7 I get pretty consistent 9 stitches per inch, in all directions excepts diagonal, where I get 10-11.

Here are the pictures-

I used that red/white/blue variegated cotton from FilTec for the first square.

I changed thread and just stitched some up and down lines with different stitch length settings. All are off, but are seeming to get better the shorter the length.

I am mainly interested in getting the longer stitch length corrected. I sew mostly at 9 or 10 and one stitch off , who can tell! But when I want that longer stitch, I just can't get it.

Is there a fix for this besides replacing the stitch regulator itself?

post-3245-0-10579400-1374422345_thumb.jpg

post-3245-0-75933700-1374422463_thumb.jpg

Cathy,

You don't need to replace the regulator, we should only need to recalibrate it. Call us on Monday and Amy can help. You'll want to be near the machine at the time so she can have you make adjustments and then repeat the stitch out sequence to see how things are changing. After 10 a.m. CST is a good time to call, since first thing in the a.m. we often have spa appointment drop-offs to handle at the first part of the day. :)

Thanks Dawn, that is good news that it can be re-calibrated.

I won't be able to call until Wednesday, will that be okay with Amy's schedule?

I can definitely wait until after 10am CT that day to call. The other days I am at work by 8:30am PT.

Archived