I've made friends with my Hartley Fence!

Laura Farnham

Okay- been putting it off for some time now, but decided to take out the fence and give it a try.

Followed Myrnas instructions in her book and Voila. I'm well on my way to covering a quilt with Baptist Fans. It looks great and its actually really easy. Don't know why I was so hesitant to try this.

Anyway, I have a ways to go still on this quilt, but oh, the ideas running through my head for the next one. Can't wait to finish so I can experiment with my "New Friend" The Fence!

Happy Quilting!

Laura

If you really want to make friends with your Hartley Fence try this.

Add a stablizer to the guide arm. I used a piece of 1" PVC pipe and two 3/8" machine screws to attach the pipe. You have to drill a hole in the guide arm and a hole in the L angle that the control handle attaches to on the back of the sewing head. Disconnect the control cable so you do not nick it when the hole is drilled. I trimmed the pipe so that the end under the L angle fit flush to the angle.

Look at the attached picture, I am sure you can figure it out. This will allow you to move the machine with one hand and the needle will come back very accurately to the start point. The circles will be smoother than trying to hold one hand on the fence and the other on the machine.

2211104510099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

I'd have to say it is a definate "Must Have" if you are just getting your Fence.

I'm a pretty visual person so it's easier for me to see something in action than to read directions, but I must admit, when all was said and done and I recieved my Fence, I couldnt quite figure it out. So I put it to the side and just started practicing with the machine.

4 months went by and I thought I should try once again. Pulled out Myrnas Handbook and saw that it was very easy to follow the directions.

I plan on taking Myrnas "Get it on with the Hartley Fence" class and would recommend any and all classes with her.

Laura

Archived