APQS Forum Tips to the rescue

Dor-sq-in-sq.jpg

I just finished this square in a square; indigo and white with pieced muslin backing and Warm & Natural cotton batting for a customer. She said that she wanted ?stripes? which really means lines through the white sashing. And she wanted a spiral in each square. It sounded pretty simple to me?. Yeah, we?ve all heard these sad stories.

I should have known it was not going to be pretty when I had to return her muslin backing to her. The backing was wide enough but it was exactly the same length as the quilt top. I put the top and backing together to show her. I told her to just add 3 or 4 inches to the top and bottom. Two days later, I picked up her re-do on the backing from the LQS. When I went to mount it, I noticed that she had added the 4 inches?but she added it to the sides, not the top and bottom so it was still too short. Grrrrr. Then I really studied it and noticed that the muslin she added was pieced on with the seam on the wrong side. There was no ?smooth side?. This was worse than when I gave it to her to fix. That should have told me I was going to have problems. But huh, they are just squares, simple, huh? So I fixed the backing myself and moved on.

I don?t have channel locks on my Ultimate I but I needed to be able to lock the machine so the lineswould be straight. On this forum, I learned that you can use bulldog clips (those pincher style paper clamps) to lock the wheels on the carriage. The line was perfectly straight. I don?t know who suggested this technique but THANK YOU.

Unfortunately my straight line did not look so good with the quilts sashing pieces. It started off straight but then got closer to the squares and then got further away from the squares as I stitched from one end to the other.The seams were uneven making the squares anywhere from 3/8 inch to 5/8 inch from the straight line I quilted. Her squares were uneven. Grrrrr. Out of the 18 or so sashing strips (horizontal and vertical) only 3 of them were square. Then I remembered another tip from this forum. Stuff batting pieces under the takeup roller between the quilt and the metal roller and it would pull the quilt higher just wherever the batting is. I locked the carriage in place and then ran the machine down the edge without stitching, gauging where to stuff the batting. This worked great, so my stitched line was still straight and it looked pretty straight against the uneven squares. Whoever suggested this deserves a medal. Thank you, thank you.

That?s why I love this forum. There are so many great ideas and techniques here.

And here's the back:

Dor-sq-back.jpg

Archived