Trouble with brakes on new Millie table

Hi,

I am curious.  Has anyone else had trouble keeping enough tension on their quilt on the Millie table?  I just got a used 2007 Freedom, and had to get a new table as my ultimate I table wouldn't work for the Freedom head.  APQS has already replaced one set of defective brakes for me, but I'm still frequently having to tighten the brakes to keep the quilt from slipping as I roll the quilt.  Any ideas/ suggestions out there?

Thanks!

Andi

Dawn....I think I have the pressure brakes?  and this may be a new question.maybe related to the first question by newbie and maybe not.....it is on a new white frame that came with my Lucey.  The brakes are a clamp that hold the two front bars at the same time....you work them by tightening the bars to where you want them and then pressing on the lever.  They have glued on velcro strips on the insides to hold the fabric....I have not noticed mine not holding the fabric tight yet but I have not done many quilt sandwiches on it...what I have noticed is that the velcro strip will slide and bunch up on the brake clamp and one time, I really had a hard time releasing the brake after finishing the quilt because of the bunched up velcro strip...and I had to remove the clamps and readjust the screw when I put it back on.  .I had to remove a lot of the glue and reposition the velcro....is there something that I can do more as I suspect that the velcro strip will need repositioning and reattacment again....thanks....Lin

I had a similar problem with the Freedom table I bought a year ago.  Didn't do much about it as I am strictly a hobbist. However, I did talk to Dawn Cavanaugh about it this spring, finally.  She suggested using temporary, blue, Locktite on the treads of the adjusment screw.  I have tried it and it helped quite a bit, though I can see it is something I will need to repeat from time to time.  I hope this helps...

As I said before, using some locktite on the screw has helped me.  Before I applied it (you need to back it way out to get it in the right place.  It needs to be on the threads in the brake itself!) I could not tighten the top enough without both front and back rollers slipping.  It was very frustrating.  I did as Dqwn had suggested and it made a big difference.  Having quilted several quilts since then, I can see that I will need to reapply the Locktite periodically.  I can do that...

Archived