Breaking tread...........

Barb: Which Superior thread are you using? Does the thread seem to be repeatedly breaking at any particular spot or when you're doing any particular thing? Are you stitching with the regulator on?

If you can provide answers to these questions, it will help us narrow it down.

Barb,

Make sure your bobbin is dropping 3-4inches for a pre-wound and 5-6inches for a metal.. then try to loosen the upper tension a little!

You may have a burr somewhere cutting that thread! If you look in the manuel under timing, it will show you where to check the hook for burrs.. Also make sure the little thread guidess (pigtail guides) do not have any little grooves wore in them..

You may have a bad cone of thread.. Even if you have used it before, there is always a chance of having a bad spot in the cone! It may be worth a try to change the thread..

Give me a call today if you can't get it!

Connie Hurst

APQS Service

800-426-7233 ext. 6

One time my thread was breaking and the thing that I discovered was that my needle wasn't perfectly centered.

Another time when I was using a metallic thread, the tension seemed good and I couldn't find a problem with anything else, so I put a few drops of Sewer's Aid

lubricant on the spool of thread and that did the trick.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am using Cone thread from Superior and prewound bobbins. I changed the needle and have loosened the tension.

I will check to see if there is a burr somewhere and go from there.

Connie. Unfortunately, I don't get much time to work on the machine until the weekend. (Still working at UPS) I am going to try to put some practice material on the machine and will try to give you a call on Friday, late afternoon.

Thanks... Barb

Barb: If you're breaking Machine Quilting Thread, I would check for burs. For me, it takes a lot to break poly thread.

Before your thread breaks, how do your stitches look?

As someone else suggested, I would also try a different cone of thread just to be sure it isn't the thread.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

blahita, welcome to the group. There's nothing wrong with being new .. we were all new once!

You can use the same thread in the bobbin or you can use specialty threads. There are many but the one I'm most familiar with is Superior Bottom Line. It can be purchased through Kings Men Quilting Supply or Superior Threads You can buy the thread on the spool, cone or as pre-wound bobbins.

I believe APQS also sells some pre-wound bobbins of a different brand.

You will have to do a little bobbin tension tweaking if you're switching between thread weights/types but that's easy enough to get right.

Good luck!

Archived