60's quilt pattern

Hola, Cristy,

I am not clear exactly what you are looking for. Are you looking for quilt patterns (for piecing the quilts) that were designed and published in books in the 1960's?

Or, are you looking for 1960's retro-style fabrics to put into a quilt top?

What type of contest is it? Can you give more details about the contest?

It is a contest for a patchwork fair in Sitges, Spain. I have only 2 weeks left. The theme is "the 60's". I need a very easy pattern in order to do the quilt quickly as I will be in the night shift the next 2 weeks in my job. I?m thinking of using 1960?s style fabrics but I don?t know where to look for them.

I usually buy my fabrics on equilter.com, keepsakequilting and hancocks of paduckah. However, I don?t know what kind of fabrics to look for on those pages.

Best wishes,

Cris

Cristy,

I found some fun of the typical Psychedelic 1960's styled fabric on Equilter.com.

In the search box just type in "1960's" and it will pull up a bunch of fun fabrics.

In the Equilter search box, also try typing in "psychedelic" and it will pull up even more.

Here are some more I found on an ebay search. Here are some links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960S-STYLE-COLOURFUL-ABSTRACT-FABRIC-100-COTTON_W0QQitemZ150093081185QQihZ005QQcategoryZ71210QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-Vintage-Psychedelic-Neon-Green-Orange-Fabric_W0QQitemZ200080443745QQihZ010QQcategoryZ71211QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-LILAC-1960S-STYLE-COLOURFUL-ABSTRACT-FAT-QUARTER_W0QQitemZ150090793622QQihZ005QQcategoryZ43429QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/5yd-VIP-Cranston-Bold-Paisley-Print-1960s-Era-Pink_W0QQitemZ130048702466QQihZ003QQcategoryZ71205QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Retro-1960s-FASHION-GIRLS-Quilting-Fabric-blue-aqua_W0QQitemZ170080117049QQihZ007QQcategoryZ71211QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cotton-Fabric-Retro-1960s-Psychedelic-Pop-Art-Peace-FQ_W0QQitemZ230084387026QQihZ013QQcategoryZ43429QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Cristy,

Have you ever done a "Stack N Whack" quilt? The Psychedelic bright-colored paisley/abstract designed fabrics would make a really REALLY cool stack n whack quilt top and stack n whack quilt tops are pretty quick to make.

Whatever you decide to do, I am sure it will turn out very fun. Please post a photo of the completed quilt top. Have fun! Groovy, peace, tie-dye and far out, man!

Shana, you did such a good job of researching fabric for Cristy. Using the images of what you selected and the stack and whack idea, buy some solid fabrics at your LQS, sew them in random width strips to make a new striped cloth, then fussy cut them into triangles or diamonds for the kaleidoscope look. Then add other bright colors around the pinwheels and keep changing the colors so that the overall quilt looks really splashed with brightness. Be sure to throw in a little white and a little black for drama. I was a go-go dancer in the 60s and had this sequined dress, so I'd put some sequins on the quilt too. Good luck with the contest and post some pictures when you get it done.

Vicki

Christy,

Almost any pattern will work as long as you use fabrics that say 60's. Go for any neons, and anything that brings to mind the old " Flower Power" or "Mod" ideas. There were pictures on here recently of a quilt the really did that for me. We still don't have our pictures back or I'd find it for you. The artwork of the era was very geometric and modern looking, nothing Victorian.

Vickie,

Hullaballoo, Wolfman Jack, The Swim, The Pony, The Watusi, Night Train......been there, done that at the tail end of the 60's and straight throught he 70's! Wasn't that fun!

Still dancin' in my dreams!

Cristy, I wish you the best of luck with your quilt. Just go for it and have fun! You will find time to do it and I am sure it will be just awesome. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Vicki, I can just imagine you as a go-go dancer in a cage and everything! I was a young girl in the late 60's and early 70's (I was born in 1962) but when I was little I wanted to be a go go girl and wear those white boots that went high up the leg! Goldie Hawn and Laugh-in. I loved Goldie as a go go girl!

Ahhh, my 60's memories. For the actual quilting part, and being a "boomer", living through all the history of 'Nam, Kennedy, surfers, greasers, and the Big Snow of Chicago, '67, and graduating from grade and high school in the '60's, my suggestion for the quilting might be to use overall paisley pattern. That would be fast and representative of the fabrics that I remember. All those bleeding Madras fabrics were oh so cool too.

Yes Linda, I had the boots too, mid-calf and white, then later alabaster and black patten leather. Kenna, you listened to Wolfman Jack too? What a great voice. The Supremes performed at Michigan State and they were fabulous. I danced behind some Motown greats and had a wonderful time. In Toronto for the CNE I was behind Bob Hope and Victor Borga when we did a dance number with the new Canada flag. There's a lot of us 60's beauties who can now be called 60's by the number doing quilting. It's great that we haven't lost our spirit, just our figures. Let's boogaloo till we puke!

Vicki

Oh, I love you girls...I was born in '59 - my kids asked me once what it was like growing up in the '50's - I told them since I was born in June of '59 I have no idea :D Kids!

I had the go go boots too. Then I graduated to the knee highs in 3rd grade. They were vinyl. I stepped in a mud puddle on the way home from school and my dad had to cut them off.

My siblings were all 12, 9 & 8 years older than me - I was an after thought -so I grew up on all that music too....love it!!

Bonnie,

My 80 going on 50 year old friend of offering me a machine if I'd quilt naked fame sounds just like Wolfman Jack! It's just hilarious listening to him and thinking back. I didn't get go-go boots, they made me wear corrective shoes...:(. But I danced in those clodhoppers anyway!

"let the Midnight Special shine it's ever lovin' light on you.." Who could forget that!

I really love the paisley idea, too, that's perfect for a pattern.

Create a COLLAGE SCRAPBOOK PAGE quilt......A great idea that came in the night

Here's another idea. Make your own fabric. If you are able to work with photos and print to fabric, here's my suggestion for a quick quilt. I think it could be a winner too. Find all kinds of memorabilia--even from the web, pictures, especially one of the work Love, picture of a cigarette smoking (resembling marijuana), John and Jacquelyn Kenndy, war protests, hippies, Woodstock, etc. Use news headlines, art of the era (Andy Warhol), Lennon, Beatles, album covers, Ed Sullivan Show....go on forever. Print them in any way you can onto fabric. You can cut them into pieces after printing. Iron on some light-weight bonding material. Iron them all onto muslin. MAKE IT A TRUE COLLAGE. Then, with actual fabrics that you can find...madras plaids, bright stripes, flowers, etc. create your own fabric montage (using bonding fabric or actual sewing). Cut the fabric montage into the borders to make a frame for the collage. THen quilt the whole thing into a quilt. I'd use a multi-color thread and quilt around the pic sections so that each one is highlighted (echo the areas). Add an applique of a daisy somewhere...it could even be a 3D-type applique. Then quilt the frame part with the paisley quilting. It could be OH so COOL!! AND FAST TOO.

Thank you very much to everybody for all your help. I think I?m going to take Debfigved (sorry, I don?t know your name) advice and make a collage quilt.

It?s sounds very funny and very interesting approach. I?ve never printed fabric and I have to see how it comes out.

I?m on the night shift at this moment and I don?t think I will be able to finish the quilt in 2 weeks. However, I will do it anyway because I like the idea of a collage quilt.

Do any of you have pictures of collage quilts?

I?m thinking of an attic window quilt with lots of pictures.

Best wishes,

Cris

Archived