Changed Motor Brushes - Belt Too Tight?

I think I may have taken a few years off of my life with stress and panic...but I was able to change the motor brushes on my APQS Ultimate I and it appears to be running again!!!  I was sick to my stomach putting it all back together....  I did talk to Amy on the phone - I hate to call back I know she's so busy - but the call dropped and I was able to get through what I was doing anyhow...but I just want to ask, I followed the instructions to the best of my understanding....

...regarding the belt...I read that it shouldn't give more than 1/4"...but that is so hard to really tell!  Is there anything I should look for when running the machine to know if my belt is too tight?  I lifted the motor as instructed from the rear to tighten the belt but made sure it had what looked like 1/4" give to me...and screwed the motor in place.  But it definitely sounds different than when I was running it before I had changed the brushes...maybe this was because it was in need of fixing, I don't know.  

Any tips or advice are appreciated!  

You know what Nigel I didn't even think to look.  I will do that.  

I did finish the quilt that was on the frame and it seems to be running well.  I have to say, I know everyone says changing the motor brushes is easy peasy but that seriously scared me!!!!  I debated driving two hours to Joyce the lady closest to me who works on APQS machines to do it for me.  I cried.  A lot.  Like a baby.  I realize that this makes me seem very immature and silly but it was awful!  LOL  I'm so glad it's done.  :)  I will take a look at the screws this evening and see if there are any marks.  :)  Thank you!

Joyce - THANK YOU!!!  I am so sorry I wasn't too pleasant to chat with on the phone...usually I'm a chitty chatty ball of smilies.  :)  :)  :)  <----  A lot like that!!  But pulling off that motor seriously scared the crumbs out of me.  You are a sweetheart for offering to walk me through it - not that I didn't want or appreciate that, but I have a two year old so I knew it'd be really difficult and probably unpleasant for you on your end to try and hang with me while calming a toddler down and trying to pry open the motor!  I am so happy it's just over and done with...WHEEW!!!  :)  

...and Joyce do not be sorry AT ALL!  It wasn't you in particular I was referring to - I just meant everyone here no the board really knows what they are doing and I think this scared me much more than them!  :)  Everyone was trying to reassure me .... and I think that made me even more nervous in the end because I wondered why I'm such a wierdo that I'm so scared of this and everyone else is fine!  LOL

NIgel - yes this is why I was changing the brushes, because of that dip...but also it got to the point that my machine began racing and stitching uncontrollably fast...I figured it must be the brushes and my machine being out of whack I was forced to change them.  *crosses fingers*  Let's hope that was all - or I will be driving out to Joyce after all!  :)

Archived