quilting advice

I am getting ready to put this queen-sized string quilt on  my Millie and since it is a "horizontal" string quilt and I want to do it with straight line quilting to keep it very modern, my thought is to run the stitching line perpendicular to the seam lines.  Am I right?..or is there another idea for this.  Here's a picture of half of the quilt as there isn't enough room to lay out the whole thing right now.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

post-15392-0-41031300-1383707919_thumb.jpg

I  like the looks of the wavy lines.  Not sure I can control myself enough to keep them a subtle wave though.  I had thought of doing a 1" straight line and I did plan on putting the quilt on the frame sideways to make life a little easier.  I am pretty new to all this. I have another quilt I am going to do the straight lines on first before I attempt this quilt. Thanks for your advice. 

The quilt was done in sections and because of that, there aren't a whole lot of seam lines that match so if I were stitch in the ditch, I would have some jogs every so often.  So.....I think I might give the wavy line a try and will consider doing it horizontally (side to side, rather than top to bottom).  I think if I would have done the straight line quilting, I would have gone from top to bottom so that I could avoid getting into a seam line.  Now if I were to "chalk" in some wavy lines to follow or to use as a guideline, do you have a suggestion on what to mark the quilt with and can I do it while it is on the longarm.  I am thinking of using my chalk marker that I used to use for clothes sewing with the little rotary thingy in it (do you know what I am talking about?).  It would leave a little dash line that I can follow.  Oh...decisions, decisions. I just need to get at it and get it done. 

Archived