Fixing turkey tracks on back

I just finished a very large customer quilt and noticed a few places on the back of the quilt where I have turkey tracks. I usually fix areas like this on my DM but since this is a customer quilt wondered if anyone would fix it differently. I will need to drop my feed dog on my DM as I used a leaf panto quilting design. Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have not taken the quilt off the frame yet

I would be interested in hearing replies to this.  I recently had a quilt with this problem in a few selected areas. The way I 'fixed' the problem was by coloring the thread so it matched the backing.  However, I only had a couple places that need the color trick. 

Sometimes when you have a tight pattern you are doing where there a lot of corners or points you can get a long thread on the back.  This can be caused by running the machine too fast or having a too long of stitch length...at least that is what I have found on my machine.  If I shorten my stitches I usually can prevent this from happening and then concentrate on going slower.

As long as you don't have a tension problem where the thread is laying on the backing like rail road tracks, then the above is what I do. 

I don't know of any other 'fix' that a person can do.

I have fixed small areas by ripping them out, marking them with pins that are placed to be visible on the front of the quilt, then requilting using the original needle holes as a guide.  I secure the ends of the threads before and after the ripped stitches by using a very small stitch for about a quarter inch right over the thread ends.   

Archived