new hook assembly?

I broke a needle and all was well.  Another needle broke and now I see burrs on the hook assembly where the needle goes down into the bobbin case.  It's a part of the assembly that does not rotate (not the silver parts).  I've attached a picture.  The area of concern is where I have placed the tip of my stitch ripper.  I'm ready to do whatever it takes.  My Millie is flat lining on the back of quilts.  I've tried all the suggestions I've read and I can't get rid of the problem.  New bobbin case, new needles, thread, rethreaded top, ect...  Can only think it needs to be replaced.  I can't use emery cloth there without it falling into the assembly as this part doesn't rotate.  I think I've explained the problem?

post-2630-0-29136900-1384391498_thumb.jpg

Kim,

Go ahead and polish out the scratch with your emery cloth. Tear the cloth into a narrow strip, and fold it over lengthwise if nessary to get it inside the opening. Once you're done sanding, first spray the hook area thoroughly with canned or compressed air, and then do the WD-40 cleaning to get rid of residual particles. Re-oil the hook after that.

As for the flatlining, a burr where you see it would not cause that problem. Flatlining is still the result of tension imbalance or needle flex. Loosen the bobbin case tension until you can't even pull the bobbin case out of your hand by the thread tail. Then tighten the top tension. Keep going until you either get rid of the flat lines or your thread breaks. If your thread breaks before you get rid of the flat lining, then look for other ways to reduce needle flex, such as moving slower, a larger needle, a looser quilt, shorter stitches, etc. Also check your needle bar for "play". Wiggle the needle bar back and forth. It should feel very firm. If the bushings are starting to wear, then that allows the needle to flex more.

Check the hopping foot for height and that it's level. Turn the needle down as low as possible by hand, and then try to slide a single business card under the foot from all sides. It should go under with a little bit of pressure from all sides. If it goes under easier on one part than the other, then your foot is crooked. That can cause flatlining, too. Insert a flat blade screwdriver into the center of the foot after you've removed the needle, and gently pry the low side up taking care not to use the needle plate for leverage. Keep checking and adjusting until it is flat and even.

Having a "back up hook" is never a bad idea!

Jeez, you guys are the best!!!  I'll start over with the tension check tomorrow.  I appreciate you replying to my post.  I've adjusted the hopping foot as per a post you have had in the past.  I might have it a bit too tight as I have to give a good push to slide the card under but it seems to be level.  I'll recheck that also.  The needle bar feels firm but I hear a slight ticking nose which means it's got a very slight movement to it.  That'll get a recheck too.

Thanks again Vicki and Dawn!!!

Okay, tension is back to acceptable standards, burr is sanded, hopping foot is in correct position and i am back in business.  Also ordered an extra hook assembly, bobbin case, brake spring and 4.0 needles.  With what I already have in my emergency kit and the use of this forum I think (and hope) I am well prepared for any unforeseen issues.   Thanks again for helping me out with all this.   :)

Kim

Archived